Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:36:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: propane injection ups and downs?  (Read 2924 times)
sledhead

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »

Ok probably stirring up the pot . I installed a propane injection unit on my 6v92ta,total cost about $1100. Has been in for 1 year. You can turn it on or off at any time from the drivers seat.My son and I did a test on a controlled route with a hill in the test. Each time I gained an extra gear and lost 10 seconds off the route test with the propane on. We did the test 3 times on and 3 times off, the same each time.It has given me the extra power needed for the up hill runs.I turn it off when not in the hills.I have the regulator set low on the amount of propane injected. The only difference I have noticed is I use a little less oil on a long run.As far as long term use time will tell. At present we only put on about 8-10 k a year.                          dave       

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »

Your preaching to the choir Dave,, its well known that propane "mixing" (its not injected) works well for turboed and "A" timed engines. Propane is even more effective on 4 stroke diesel engines than 2 strokes..>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »

This is something I have always had an interest in although I do not have a turbo.  Many reports seem to say it helps a natural engine, just not quite as much.  There are those that create their own systems using a steady flow of propane.  I have also heard about systems that can regulate the propane flow according to the DD blower, which would be similar to the turbo system.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

The parts I don't like about the propane injection for the amount of injected propane the same amount of air is displaced and then the water content bothers me

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »

You will probably find more water vapor in despensed diesel fuel than propane vapor. Internal combustion averages between 14/17 to 1 for efficient combustion,, thats a lot of air to work with, particularly under blower pressure.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
tanman496

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »

Where  can you get one of the propane kits

Mark
pickpaul
New Bus Not

New Bus Not

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »

And can I put a kit on my 85 Mercedes SDL? That would be amazing :-)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »

Cliff, would the minor amount of water possibly act as a cleaner/steam washer? I've heard of peeps injecting water to keep things sparkly in there. I green when it comes to diesel....just curious

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:37 AM »

With a diesel,, that would be an excellent way to ruin your injectors quickly.>>>Dan
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:10:52 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:21:35 AM »

Deisel performance products $749.00            thanks dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:58 AM »

Scott I never saw a water injector but I do spray a about a qt of water running a DD @1/2 throttle sometimes if they have a carbon knock and it will stop the knock.

Years back on gasoline engines running leaded gas you could do the same and it would remove buildup without removing the head that practice was common on the Onan generators even at dealers fwiw

As far as a propane setup on a 2 stroke the way it is design and the air at over 200 degrees under the  aftercooler on turbo engine I will wait and see
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:01:44 AM by luvrbus » Logged

5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »

If you use 2-Ethyl-Hexyl-Nitrate in you fuel, you will see and increase in you power, Diesel sound (knocking)

will no longer be there,less smoke. Ratio is 1 qt to 112 gal. will increase cetane 6 numbers. The higher the

cetane rating of the fuel the better fuel mileage.

Steve 5B.......

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »

If you use 2-Ethyl-Hexyl-Nitrate in you fuel, you will see and increase in you power, Diesel sound (knocking)

will no longer be there,less smoke. Ratio is 1 qt to 112 gal. will increase cetane 6 numbers. The higher the

cetane rating of the fuel the better fuel mileage.

Steve 5B.......

Is this "Power Service - Diesel Kleen" (silver bottle summer, more cetane boost; white bottle winter, less cetane boost but anti-gel and water removal)?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »

All the ethanol gas has EthylHexylNitrate in the blend why not just use a gal of gas it has been done for years by truckers

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »

All the ethanol gas has EthylHexylNitrate in the blend why not just use a gal of gas it has been done for years by truckers 

Bottle of "Power Service" = $16.99/ at dah Waw*Mott; $19.99 at truck stops.   Gallon of gas:  $3.50.  Sounds like a good plan to me.  How much gas to you need to buy to get enough EHN to do any good?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: