Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 06:18:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rebuilding a v730.. Anything special?  (Read 549 times)
Darkspeed

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »

Im getting my hands on a good running takeout allison v730.
What is the general procedure? Do people rebuild as a default?
I have built / rebuilt transmissions before, is there any gold plated tools i would need to do a rebuild on a v730?
If I use it to replace my VH are there any additional parts i will need?

Thanks

Todd
4106-1070 6V92T + V730
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »

I would purchase an Allison factory service/repair manual off Ebay. They aren't that costly. If you study it, it isn't that much different from older Hydramatic 350 or 400. Of course, the parts are much larger, more expensive,  and you need to be fussy in setting clearances, some of the procedures are elaborate, etc. Where do you get the overhaul parts? I would check pressures per the manual, and if they were satisfactory, and fluid and filter looked good, I'd run it first and see how it works. It's not that difficult to drop it back out, if it needs rebuilt. It also gives you a chance to see if shift points are where they should be. You can adjust them some by turning the notched caps on the end of the pressure valves. Sometimes, a cap may already be maxed out, or the governor is set for a lower or higher rpm.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:47:27 AM »

Take it to Allison and have it dyno it doesn't cost that much less than 300 bucks it will save you time and money me I would not pay for it till I had a Allison dyno,and there are some gold plated tools required for rebuilding 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Darkspeed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:37:24 PM by Darkspeed » Logged

Todd
4106-1070 6V92T + V730
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: