Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 12:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gillig Low Floor Conversions  (Read 6427 times)
Lostranger
Jim in NC

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »

"one of the great guru/pioneer busnuts had and converted a gillig i think as his second bus. George Myers and he had a great bus bulliten and went under the name Epic Conversions. he was a major contributor BCM for many years, did the electrical column. his had a 6v92 and he well documented his conversion"

If it had a two stroke, then it was not a low floor. I'm specifically looking for low floor conversions, but thanks.

Jim in NC

The Lost Ranger
"Who was that masked man?"
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Jim.   Where you at?  (Reply in a PM if you'd rather).  I think I have some info for you.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lostranger
Jim in NC

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »

I'm in Western North Carolina. 35 miles east of Asheville.

The Lost Ranger
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »

Sounds interesting, congrats on doing your way. Post up pics, that really tells the story.

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »

FYI Gary over at B&B Coach 702-873-4415 has a 97 Gillig he is getting ready to scrap out, B-400 trans, brakes, torsions are in nice shape, the Cummins is sold already. I thought maybe this might help some body thats looking for parts  Wink Wink

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »

FYI Gary over at B&B Coach 702-873-4415 has a 97 Gillig he is getting ready to scrap out, B-400 trans, brakes, torsions are in nice shape, the Cummins is sold already. I thought maybe this might help some body thats looking for parts  Wink Wink

Van

Hey Van?  I got a call from a guy who is restoring a 4106 and he is looking for some stock seats if you happen to come across some.

Thanks,

BCO

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

Will do! Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
zimmysurprise
"Flight Risk" Don and Charlie Zimmerman 1978 GM PD-4108 Chardon,Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »

Not sure if anyone is pulling a Gillig engine but less than 2 days left:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=85&acctid=2791
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »

Back from a long trip and to this subject,,I drove my 06 extensivly for 15 years, now an American Tradition. In all that time never needed a spare,, todays SOB diesel pushers do not have spares as it uses space that folks want for other things.. Keep your coach net card up to date and an eye on the tires.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
sorenbarr

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »

Jim,
I applaud doing your own thing. I hope to follow your build a bit as I'm just starting to build my transit conversion. Mine is an older high floor, but I looked at a few LF buses and the space inside was great. I'm also not a fan of the look of coaches, to tall to my mind.

I hope you start a build thread once you get your build going. I'm starting slow, but hope to have a blog or build thread starting soon, but there isn't much info on converting modern transits, much less a low floor.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Soren 

Soren

1986 Neoplan AN440
6V92 DDEC
Lostranger
Jim in NC

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:43 AM »

Soren said: "I hope you start a build thread once you get your build going."

I will certainly do a build thread as soon I get her home. I've been too busy to make the trip, but that phase of my life will soon be over.

I've been learning even more about the H2000LF and going over my plans, and I'm more than ever convinced that this will be a wonderful platform for conversion. Our bus cranks, rides and drives like new. The fact that it has 7'10" headroom forward of the rear platform opens a world of possibility. I think I'll be able to use off-the-shelf agricultural tanks for fresh, gray and black water. Only thing I've not worked out is propane storage, but I might have room for two 40 lb tanks beside the generator in the space where the air handler used to be.

Anyone have experience with tire covers? Seems like keeping the tires blocked from sunlight would add a long time to their useful life. We'll never drive enough to wear them out.

Jim in NC

The Lost Ranger
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »

My standard floor height AMGeneral transit has 6'10" headroom with 22" underfloor space. Even with that it was a harder conversion then a over the road bus. But then again, I didn't have the money for the original outlay.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lostranger
Jim in NC

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »

Finally got my bus home on December 5. Drove 200 miles with no serious problem. Engine does appear to be running hot, but I suspect that the fan drive is not running properly, if at all.

I cannot imagine being more pleased with a conversion platform. Rides and drives like a dream. Power to burn. Easily runs 65 (probably more). Vast interior space. I'm more than ever convinced that fitting tanks, batteries and other infrastructure under the floor extension I will build forward of the rear platform will be no major problem.

I put two new Hancook tires on the front. Turns out that the other four are not bad. One is a nearly new Goodyear. I'll probably replace them over the next few months to have fresh rubber all round. I've decided to keep the Goodyear tire and buy a spare wheel. I'll leave the spare tire/wheel assembly at home base, but it will be readily available should I need to pick it up or have it shipped to me.

I do need help coming up with a part number for the serpentine belt. My belt is in sorry shape, and we've not found a number on it. I got complete parts/service/operation manuals with the bus, but none of them list this belt number. I called Gillig in California. Their parts desk told me that the serpentine is specific to the engine, and that he could not help me.

So.... If you know of or know where I can find this part number, let me know. DD Series 40, 8.7 liter, 1999 model. I can get the engine number if necessary. My next step is to remove the belt and take it to Carquest. They can probably match it to measurement.

I will start a build thread ASAP, and I covet all helpful input.

I confess that I'm excited.

Jim in NC

The Lost Ranger
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:15 AM »

Detroit Series 40 is actually an International engine so an International dealer might be able to help on parts.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »

....some of the Bus Conversion necessary stuff above the floor line more or less setting on the floor?  Some of the many Crown Supercoach conversions plans I toyed with had the water and holding tanks INSIDE above the floor, particularily just above the interior wheelwells.

Tanks within tanks with proper exterior ventilation soos they would be odor free if anything stinky happened with the gray or black tank(s).  Closets above. The center of gravity/balance was a concern, but worked out to be much less than a full load of high school students.

The high mounting would also solve some valid concerns regarding road impacts via junk or off roading.  One design had the house batteries between the frame rails, also armored from hits and misses.  Ventilation and access was provided.  The weights and

measures had the coach practically perfectly balanced with just a few pounds difference from right to left and front to back.  50% R, 50% L; 35% F, 65% R.  2 axle coach. The spare stayed.  The gen set ended up just behind the rear wheels.  Static weights. 

The fuel tanks ended up between the axles on both sides.  Dynamic weight.  Outfitting and the weight of all passengers including the motor home mamma were also considered.  I still have the plans somewhere.  HB of CJ (old demented coot now) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: