Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 02:07:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loc-tite on corner drive bolts?  (Read 2146 times)
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »

BOB
 I dont know if you have room ? but I have drilled the edge of the nut an also the edge of the bolt head. I then used stainless wire to keep all from turning( I used .o32 wire from my wire welder) just be careful while twisting the ends together,to tight and they will break. Hope this helps!
Dwayne
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »

Bob: A few words of caution on that type of fan drive if you have to work on the box.

Make sure that the fan is balanced and a light weight plastic fan is preferable to a steel fan.

Any vibration takes out the front bearing in the box which puts the fan into the rad.

Make sure that the gears are properly set up. It is a tedious job shimming the two sets of bearings (even worse than setting a crown and pinion). If you take it apart make sure to mark the location of the gears. On a 1 to 1 gear set they always mesh on the same teeth and wear in that way. If you change the relative position you will have high spots and low spots which make it impossiible to shim properly.

I speak from experience because I didn't mark the gears and it took me two days moving  a gear one tooth at a time to find the original location. After each move you have to reshim both sets of bearings and tightern everything down to test it. If you put the gears back in the original position it only takes about four hours to get the shims right. You want this gear box to turn freely with almost zero backlash.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

Thanks Stan - I had mine rebuilt by a local machine shop about a year ago.  It seems good but I will check the freeplay in it tomorrow before I put it back in. And yes I do have a plastic fan. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: