Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clutch be ame really easy to depress...im worried  (Read 974 times)
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »

I just put about 3000 miles over the last 2 months and was feeling like everything is going great.  Then coming up these hills to Zion National Park i realized the clutch is not nearly as hard ti depress.  Then i watched it and it doesnt really come up as high as it used to wgile driving.  When the bus is off (no pressure) it is hard to press again.  I read the "clutch stuck" post that explained the air pressure (checking that kut tomorrow) but tge post is unresolved.

The spring under driver area seems to be right.

1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

old coaches in the hands of busnuts do strange things.

We don't use them, they stiffen up, we use them, they loosen up, or begin to break...

Hard to tell the difference sometimes...

When was the entire length of clutch engaging mechanism lubricated?

When last was the clutch adjusted according to the procedures laid down by the manufacturer?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »

Last lube was just over 3000 miles ago.  Not sure or confident it was the entire length, but he definately hit all the spots and grease nipples labled under the driver seat.

Clutch hasnt been serviced in the year that I have had it (about 5000 miles).  Spec seems to be every 2500 miles.  Guess ill get in there tomorrow and check all the measurements and specs in the maintenance manual.

rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »

I think you may have air assist on the clutch and it has started working .
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »

Mine was very hard to operate when I bought it.
Removed the clutch assist cylinder, pulled it apart and lubricated it and put it back and no problems since.

Clutch adjustment is quick and easy - hard part is getting close enough to reach the adjustment wheel.

Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Adjusted the wheel according to the book and BINGO.
It took about three whole turns (very easy to turn) then backed it out one whole turn.  The free travel at the top if the pedal is now right and it is back to being hard to press down.

Thanks guys

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »

Now ask yourself why it came out of adjustment, and keep track of what changes happen over the next little while.  You could have a clutch disc coming apart.  There are a number of grease zerks on the linkage on the gearbox, including one that goes into the side of the gearbox and lubes the throw-out bearing.  If you are lucky, you still have the extension tubes running down to the zerks on a plate under the alternator, so have a look-see...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

Make sure the main lever is clamped tight on the splined shaft that goes inside the clutch housing and hasn't jumped a couple of splines.

If it has always been hard apart from just recently, then check that the air assist cylinder is actually getting an air supply and then make sure it is clean inside and lubricated..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: