Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 09:13:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking covered long-term bus storage  (Read 5664 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

Well, we've finally done it, and made an offer this morning on a boat.  We're still a long way from having this in the bag -- we don't know if our offer will be accepted, and even if it is, lots of things need to happen before we can close.  Probably the earliest we would move off the bus would be the end of January.  Nevertheless, the time has come to plan for Odyssey's future.

I have mixed feelings about this, of course -- we love our bus.  But there's not much we can do with it if we're halfway around the world on a boat.  I'd sell it if I could, but I need to get at least 30 cents on the dollar for it to make any sense, and that's not likely to happen in the current market.  Below that it makes more sense for us to put it into long-term storage for some future day when we either retire from boating, or (more likely) need temporary quarters land-side to deal with family medical issues.

At any rate, we are now in the market for a place to store Odyssey for the long haul.  Given that we will not be aboard to notice leaks developing or anything else, we'd like something at least covered and preferably fully enclosed.  Security of some kind, even just a pair of eyes on a regular basis, is a plus.  Climate control would be nice anyplace where it gets too cold or too humid.  Not mandatory, but we'd prefer someplace within fairly easy reach of a major international airport, although we are open to pretty much any part of the country where we can get a good deal.  Our bus is 40' long and 13' tall.

Would love to hear your recommendations and suggestions.  Not only places to try, but also if there are any we should stay away from.

Thanks!

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »

Why don't you just put it on the boat? Grin

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

When you say long term, any idea of how long term?   Huh

What kind of budget do you have monthly or annually to store the unit?

What kind of money are you asking for the bus to get back your 30 cents on the dollar?

Several sites of various quality are available in the Sacramento California area. 2 hours from San Francisco.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »

Sean, If I was you I would store it somewhere for a while. Whats the longest time you two have spent on a boat?
You might want  that bus back !! Just saying. I spent 6 weeks on a sailboat many years ago 4 of them no land in sight! ( ended a relationship too ) Different world can't pull over and park at night, but knowing the person you are you got it figured out, but 30 cents on the dollar ain't much if and when you want it back.
Just my thoughts! What type of boat ?
ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »

When you say long term, any idea of how long term?   Huh

Yes.  I expect we will be on the boat at least a decade.  The bus will be stored for as long as we are on the boat, with the possibility that we will come back and use it occasionally, such as to deal with some sort of family issue land-side.

What kind of budget do you have monthly or annually to store the unit?

I don't really have a budget -- I am looking for the lowest-cost alternative that meets our needs. We are hoping to find something suitable under $100/mo, but that may be unrealistic.

What kind of money are you asking for the bus to get back your 30 cents on the dollar?

Uhh, I don't think I can discuss that here.  Contact me off-list.

Several sites of various quality are available in the Sacramento California area. 2 hours from San Francisco.

Can you be more specific?  Sac'to would be great, considering we lived in the bay area for two decades, and half of the aforementioned family is there.  But my experience is that California is almost never the cheapest alternative for anything, and I would be particularly nervous about garaging a coach with South Dakota plates there.  If we have to re-register the bus in CA to make this work, the tax implications alone would rule it out entirely.

Sean, If I was you I would store it somewhere for a while. Whats the longest time you two have spent on a boat?

It doesn't matter... we are spending a significant chunk of our retirement savings on this project, so we will make it work, even if we have to adjust our cruising plans somewhat.  That said, I've spent a lot of time on the water, mostly in sailboats.  By comparison, the trawlers we have been looking at are a cakewalk.

... What type of boat ?

Single-screw, full displacement, low speed, long range, blue water power boat.  Commonly known in the boating world as a "trawler" but that word is ill-defined, in the same way that "bus" in the RV world means different things to different people.

Lots and lots of information on our blog about our boat search, going all the way back to '06:
http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/search/label/Boats

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
crown

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »

sean if in your travels you get to costa rica your welcome to stop by and stay a few days john / lidia
 ps. going to arcadia this year ?

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

Sean, there is an enclosed rv storage yard off the 14 fwy in Acton, Ca. Near Palmdale/Lancaster. About 5 years old, cement, metal building, one climate controlled, security gate, not as expensive as LA, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

A decade is a really long term plan! I will start to see what some places charge for annual storage. Given the heat in Sacramento inside storage would be best but most expensive as well. I will let you know what I find.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »

One vendor just called back and has an indoor facility temperature controlled. He will charge $199.00 per month for your bus prepaid for the year! He does not have any outside options.  He might also be willing to go lower if you committed to more than one year.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »

Sean, yall are some adventurous folks. I always thought it would be be cool to sail the seven sea's. Your bus is the coolest one I have seen. If it ever goes on the open market I will count my nickles and see if we have enough.

We pay $78 a month here in Texas and that is uncovered. I think there is a place around us that has enclosed storage for around $200. If you are interested in storing it in this area (Spring/Houston, Texas) I can look up which place it was.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

Since you want an area that isn't humid or too cold why not consider some place like New Mexico?  Prices have got to be cheaper than California and the building might not need climate control.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »

Just to mention something that I'm sure you already know about - shrink-wrapping. Very commonly done to boats and aircraft etc when being put into storage - might help preserve the bus as long as regular access to the inside isn't required. Might even allow outside storage to become an option.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »

Since you want an area that isn't humid or too cold why not consider some place like New Mexico? 

Or maybe find space somewhere here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Davis-Monthan+Air+Force+Base+in+Tucson,+Arizona&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=22.594151,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=Davis-Monthan+AFB&hnear=Davis-Monthan+AFB,+Tucson,+AZ+85707,+USA&ll=32.152416,-110.827246&spn=0.015732,0.033023&t=h&z=16

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »

Wow. I never thought this day would come. Crazy....can't help you with storage, but would love to hear your plans for boat life!!!

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

Sorry, was shocked and bummed so I didn't offer any help, shrink wrapping can be good, but FYI my dad shrink wrapped his boat and a year later there was still mold buildup inside it. Wouldn't trust shrink wrapping alone. Also, your seals, tires, etc are going to take a beating with your bus just sitting for 10 years. I've seen cars in perfect tip top condition go into long term storage only to develop leaks an issues the day they are brought out of storage. Just my thoughts.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: