Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:27:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stranded - Can't put bus into gear - Near Las Vegas  (Read 4774 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »

It's pretty much impossible to check by yourself.  You need someone operating the clutch pedal while you look at whats happening in the back.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »

I am not an expert on this, and my only experience is with something similar happening my Spicer.  However, the difference was that I could get it into first and shifted without the clutch from there on.  I found shifting without the clutch a pleasure compared to double clutching.  If you have a tach, it is very easy to do; actually easier than shifting with the clutch.  On mine, there was no getting around the fact that the clutch needed to be rebuilt, and since it is a 5a, the engine had to come out.  After all the research, we did replace it with an Allison.  It came to more than a clutch rebuild but was certainly worth doing.  It changes the whole experience.

We did install Jakes at the same time, which is certainly also a wonderful thing, but it is not essential.  You can and will downshift your Allison quite a bit anyway to stay at the rpm's you want.  Yes, it will shift automatically, but you can do it better.  Again, if the engine is coming out, that is a good time to put the Jakes on.  It will be a lot easier on the ground.  It is also a good time to go through a bunch of other engine stuff like injector size, advance timing, hoses, etc.  This all ups the price, but will save you in the long run.

I hope you find an easy fix but have my doubts.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »

Dave, despite all that has happened I hope you were able to enjoy a little of the thanksgiving day, happy thanksgiving to you & yours, tom, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »

Another small note, IF considering the 740, you will face an issue with the flywheel SAE2 size and Bell Housing SAE1 size, would make sure who ever does the changeout, fully understands what the situation is, I am sure they have a torque converter disc plate for the SAE2 flywheel bolt up and a SAE1 for bell housing, burt I found a .5 to .625 slacer needed to space the trans back. What a cluster f%@k, it all worked out in the end.
If I faced that again, I would change the bell housing to work with the SAE 1 flywheel, then all goes smooth.
Just saying, be ware.
Dave

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »

--bus can't move, can't get into gear
--when I press the clutch pedal the transmission doesn't slow down to allow me to shift into 1st

I guess you know that this rotating gears issue is pretty much standard in a lot of our buses and the only way to get it into gear is to depress the clutch and force the gears to stop by forcing it into gear. Lots of noise but doesn't seem to do any harm. Some get around it by forcing it into second first to get the gearbox to stop rotating and then changing into first. Seems to vary with oil temperature and is often worse when you start off in the morning.

Have you tried putting it into first gear with the engine stopped. Fully depress the clutch and start the engine.

If the clutch is faulty and is genuinely not disengaging, the bus will want to move off, but if it is just the normal rotating gearbox problem, the bus will sit there until you want to move off.

Some have such problems with the gearbox continuing to rotate that they resort to slipping it into first just before coming to a stop but of course that gets a bit trying on the old knees if you have to sit there for minutes waiting for the traffic to clear.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:16:20 AM by Tony LEE » Logged

Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10:53 PM »

I was able to move the bus!
I rolled it backwards and around a corner to point the nose downhill.
Got it eolling forward and slipped it into first then shifted without the clutch.  Worked great as there were no stops. 
I used to do exactly what you say Tony...slip into 1st as i approach a stop and hokd that clutch down (i have young knees).
i will try starting it with the clutch down and in 1st next time.
for now were happilly broke down and having a good time.

1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »

Hi Dave, howzit goin? Are you in a safe harbor? Did you figure out what's wrong? Had dead batteries last night, was supposed to bring the Italian Greyhound down to LA today, will check water level on the 2 yearold batteries, have to go to Alaska wed, don't want to be on I15 Sunday. Maybe the planets are aligning up early and they're sapping all the energy from the old girls already! Lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

Hi Dave, I hope all is well, did some maintainence on the 8D batteries, water down low after almost 2 years in the desert, should have known, the gods are just remindng me to do maintainence, fired right up, off to LA, backb tonite, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Dlsnow
dave

dave

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »

Cool, glad thay got you going.  Your welcome to come hang with us when you get back.  Were between Government wash and the road to Boxcar cove.

Im gping to call Gary to arrange things for the week. May be staying at RV villagr where Tony is.

Right now im pretty sure it is a clutch issue and i happen to knoe where a scrap mc7 is in AZ.  Im calling them to see if it has the same clutch transmission setup.

1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »

FWIW the clutch is the easy part, I got all the parts I needed to rebuild mine from Luke pretty much overnight.  While having a press to take it apart is nice, you don't need one, you can do it with bolts to relieve the spring pressure and pull it together again.  Or about any truck transmission shop should be able to rebuild it for you in about a day.  The hard part is getting to the clutch in the first place...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »

Hi Dave, got to I15, from Jean to Primm (stateline) about 25 miles, stop & go bumper to bumper, came back home will wait for Monday, looked to be the same all the way up thru mt. Pass, lvmci...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:58:05 AM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: