Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 02:42:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding tank sensors for matalic tanks?  (Read 533 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

Dear Friends:

We ended up with a stainless steel black water tank. Our tank monitor panel uses capacitive senors that go on the outside of plastic tanks. (No problem for our fresh water and gray water tanks!) See a similar sensor here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NON-CONTACT-LEVEL-TANK-SENSOR-RV-MARINE-HOLDING-TANKS-MOTORHOMES-N-O-S-/370666208212?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564d6d7bd4&vxp=mtr

So on a metal tank: Can I use some insulated brass screws through the walls of the tank, in place of the sensors?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »

Holding tank (as opposed to fresh water tank) sensors are problematic as toilet paper and other "stuff" gets hung up on them causing a false reading.  If it were me, I would try to rig a PVC standpipe connected to the top and bottom of your stainless tank and use capacitive sensors on that.  I think 2" thinwall PVC would work fine.  It doesn't matter what size the connections are.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »

Doc,
I don't know if this is the same outfit but they build a sensor for metal tanks.

https://tankedge.com/accessories.html
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »

Wow! Awesome! So build the sensors into a totally sealed piece of say 5-inch diameter PVC pipe? Makes sense.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: