Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:14:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Renners Silverside PD3751-438  (Read 4140 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »

These buses arrived different from the factory, the local body shop made "adjustments" once it was hit, the name of the game was get it cobbled together and back on the road to make money.

Nobody returned a coach to GM for the paint line being one rivet hole higher or lower than...

Thank goodness there's no "numbers matching" B.S. in the bus conversion hobby.

That being said, it is lovely, and commendable, that great care is and has been taken to faithfully represent "the broad middle of the road" in the presentation of the paint and decals to create a fine example of what once was!

And with the GLI historic fleet, even more commendable, cuz a coach is just a tool to use up, discard and replace in the pursuit of a business enterprise, and improved shareholder value.

Only a nut would see the coach any differently...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

Haven't seen the picture you guys are talking about, but depending on where they are, maybe the holes in the bumper are steps so the driver has an easier time washing the windsheild?

Ed -

Reviewing my post, I realized I didn't include the pic of the GL Silversides.  Here's a link to the pic:

http://www.norcalbusfans.fotki.com/greyhound/greyhound-mainline-1/gmc-pd3751pd4151/gl1947.html

If you go back to the 3751 page, there are a bunch of Silversides, all with various front bumper "stuff."  JLV (RoadrunnerTex) & I talked about some of the "stuff" being steps to clean the windshields, some being holes for additional fog lights, etc.  But note that some w/ bumper holes no longer have the OEM fog lights. . .

http://www.norcalbusfans.fotki.com/greyhound/greyhound-mainline-1/gmc-pd3751pd4151/#media

As Buswarrior says, each shop does it's own thing to keep the fleet moving. . .

Mark -

In my conversation with JLV yesterday, he said that Fred Rayman seems to remember that yes, those stripes were reflective 3M ScotchCal, and that some ScotchCal was also applied to the rear engine hatch around the center target stop lamp. . .

Tom -

Yup, I know all about the "crazies adhering to OEM" crowd from marque auto clubs, especially at concours events.  Sometimes I wanted to wring their necks with a broken Corvair fan belt due to their occasional lack of common sense. . .

That's probably what makes this hobby so much fun - it's really a "Do It Your Way" mentality, as Fast Fred so often says.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »

I have my doubts that any coach GM ever delivered was nearly as shiny as Mark's coach on delivery day.  I really like the looks of Mark's bus, but I think if he is trying to make it look OEM it is probably too shiny.  

I'm not going for any sort of OEM look with my bus.  Nobody would care about the original colors for some out of business charter company on a 1995 bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »

Wasn't no Mike Wilson to paint the GreyHounds back then lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: