Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 10:58:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing rusted supports on a MC9 (U channel or tubing  (Read 483 times)
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

Several of the horizontal braces (about 8" off the floor) have rusted through, I cut em off and prepped for welding new ones on. My original plan was to use 16ga 1"x2" that I found locally for $1/ft then I found some  Flanged U channel similar to the original factory, 1/8" (between 10-11ga) locally for the same price.

I am thinking the u channel since it's thicker, will be a better choice.

Any thoughts?

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »

I would use the heavier duty stuff if I had the choice. The trouble you have already gone through to get ready to weld tells me to error on the side of caution and beef up the supports.  Would be a bunch of work to latter on see flexing on the side of the bus caused by too light a material.

My thoughts!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

I would use the heavier duty stuff if I had the choice. The trouble you have already gone through to get ready to weld tells me to error on the side of caution and beef up the supports.  Would be a bunch of work to latter on see flexing on the side of the bus caused by too light a material.

My thoughts!

Grant

I would agree with you! I probably just needed to type out a justification, I kind of knew the answer all along. Thanks!

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: