Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 10:20:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Wiring Diagram  (Read 1237 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

I know everyone does it different, but if you documented your electrical layout I would like to see it.

I love looking at the wiring diagrams for the million dollar coaches, however, mine is very budget minded.  So, I'll find parts on CraigsList and use manual widgets in place of digital widgets  (did you know we have widgets   Tongue )

Show me your schematics

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

It might be easier if you list all the things you wanted to do (electrically), because then a wiring diagram can be created, and not a system adapted from a montage of creative engineering?

Just a thought.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »

Mine are all here:
http://odyssey.smugmug.com/Architecture/Drawings

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »

Dave; I do a paper drawing. But also write notes to self on walls in bays and inside boxes. Paper can get lost or be another place when you need info.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

I don't have a wiring diagram for either the 120v or 12/24 volt system on my bus.   I also have an 8kW genset and Trace inverter tied into the system.  No wiring problems in over 10 years.  Plus I made my own shore power automatic transfer switch that won't switch if the generator is running. I also used "unapproved" marine wire. 

My belief is if you need a diagram to put it together without understanding what is going on you will always have problems.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:41:45 PM »

I like to think I have a pretty good handle on electrical.  I've enjoyed designing and building more than one custom auto wiring harness with digital systems.  I've also designed and installed home wiring including home security,  custom lighting,  and heating design.  I also engineered commercial LAN (internet controlled) HVAC and communication systems.
So, I don't plan to walk in Sean's shoes (he is far beyond me), but, I do appreciate a well designed system and enjoy taking the best ideas by learning from others.

Sean, I'll spend some time admiring your work and finding ways to make it affordable and functional for my budget and ability.

I love to see your projects.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »

Dave, I sat down with a friend who is a commercial electrician and we reviewed a couple of books and articles that are available for bus converters. We wanted a very simple system that looked like a residential home system so the next owner could or should easily be able to repair or replace components. We then used/relied on electrical parts that could easily be secured at a big box store (price and availability). We were able to include the inverter system, the gen set, as well as shore power using a 50 amp power reel into one general system.  In the end, I have more than 60 electrical outlets (30 off of shore and genset input and 30 off the inverter system input). I think it is a very simple system but totally functional for a nearly all electrical bus. In many cases, I simply unplug the appliance from the shore power and plug it into the inverter power supply. I also have several redundant components should one system fail or not be available.

I will try and get some pictures posted of the main system.  I was very thankful for the books and articles that have been written regarding this phase of bus conversion.

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »

I have more than 60 electrical outlets

Huh

That's a lot of outlets!

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »

You are right! When you place several around the kitchen, one in each bay and several in the bathroom (all girls now! Grin) it quickly added up to approximately 15 boxes with a panel of four individual plugs. Remember that I have a separate set of plugs for the inverter side of the house.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »

I have a separate set of plugs for the inverter side of the house.

Explain this.  Why do we have separate plugs for the "inverter side"?   Once you switch power from Generator, or Shore Power to the inverter, the outlet switch to Huh

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »

Explain this.  Why do we have separate plugs for the "inverter side"?   Once you switch power from Generator, or Shore Power to the inverter, the outlet switch to Huh

I think the clue is where Grant said "I simply unplug the appliance from the shore power and plug it into the inverter power supply." I take that to mean each inividual appliance in the bus is either plugged into a circuit fed by the inverter, or a circuit fed by the generator / shore power - ie., the bus is wired with two separate circuits, rather than one circuit that can be fed by two power sources. Perhaps it's done this way to give more electrical capacity when both power sources are available at the same time, without the expense of one of those fancy inverters that will automatically supplement the shore power supply

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: