Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:20:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: school buses  (Read 3586 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »

My first bus was a 1967 Superior on a GM truck chassis. It was really solid and a lot simpler than the 5a is.  It had a GM Toroflow engine, which had a pretty bad reputation, but this one just kept going anyway.  Top speed was 62 mph with the right conditions, but it could climb a wall if the tires would stick to it. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Hawkeyenfo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Hey,  I have a 1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser. It was a Stockton, Ca High School 76 pax bus in it's early days.   I bought it from the guy who converted it decades ago and have been loving it off and on for the last 8 years  Roll Eyes  It came with the original International 549 GAS engine with a Spicer 5 speed manual.  When that had issues a few years back, I had a friend help me install a reman'd CAT 1160, mated to the Spicer with a new clutch.  WAY nicer.  LOVE the full chassis!  Drives great, rides okay, solid at the campground.  The only thing I am going to do in the future is either change gearing iot get a littler better freeway speed or, install a 2-spd rear end.  Love it!!! 

OBTW, the one BIG issue I have had is finding the windshields....Crowns a def easier to find////anyone know of a good source for these windows???

"Meat Locker"
1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »

Hawk, I think it was a super cruiser.  That's the one with the flat front, higher ceiling and 2 foot high storage bays?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Hawkeyenfo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

Hey Lin,  That's the one!  pusher, flat front, 2 foot high bays that go all the way across....gota love it!

"Meat Locker"
1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser
joel_newton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »

And there are two of us with the Paramount Studios converted Gillig three axle, mid-engine coaches.    Enough under floor storage and a perfect interior for a conversion.  Now, if I could just get the time!!!!  (Although - these were never in school bus service.)

Near Santa Rosa, California
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: