Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: school buses  (Read 3380 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »

My first bus was a 1967 Superior on a GM truck chassis. It was really solid and a lot simpler than the 5a is.  It had a GM Toroflow engine, which had a pretty bad reputation, but this one just kept going anyway.  Top speed was 62 mph with the right conditions, but it could climb a wall if the tires would stick to it. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Hawkeyenfo

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Hey,  I have a 1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser. It was a Stockton, Ca High School 76 pax bus in it's early days.   I bought it from the guy who converted it decades ago and have been loving it off and on for the last 8 years  Roll Eyes  It came with the original International 549 GAS engine with a Spicer 5 speed manual.  When that had issues a few years back, I had a friend help me install a reman'd CAT 1160, mated to the Spicer with a new clutch.  WAY nicer.  LOVE the full chassis!  Drives great, rides okay, solid at the campground.  The only thing I am going to do in the future is either change gearing iot get a littler better freeway speed or, install a 2-spd rear end.  Love it!!! 

OBTW, the one BIG issue I have had is finding the windshields....Crowns a def easier to find////anyone know of a good source for these windows???

"Meat Locker"
1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »

Hawk, I think it was a super cruiser.  That's the one with the flat front, higher ceiling and 2 foot high storage bays?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Hawkeyenfo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

Hey Lin,  That's the one!  pusher, flat front, 2 foot high bays that go all the way across....gota love it!

"Meat Locker"
1964 Superior Coach Supercruiser
joel_newton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »

And there are two of us with the Paramount Studios converted Gillig three axle, mid-engine coaches.    Enough under floor storage and a perfect interior for a conversion.  Now, if I could just get the time!!!!  (Although - these were never in school bus service.)

Near Santa Rosa, California
Paramount Studios converted Gillig
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: