Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 02:41:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Another DeLorme GPS/USB antenna  (Read 2185 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:01:18 PM »

Hello tech guys!  I have major unmet needs!  Where does one find accessory Delorme GPS USB port antennas...or maybe any compatible USB style GPS antenna?  Is anything compatible?
Already checked Eplace and all GPS antennas had "MMCX" or something other than USB plugs.
Do I call DeLorme? 
Want to mount an antenna in the bus permanently (in the front cap as is the XM) , but keep the OEM antenna for othe vehicles.
Thanks in advance!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »

Here's a few you may have missed.
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/usb-gps_DeLorme_W0QQcatrefZC11QQfromZR40QQsacatZ73357

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »

JR,

Almost any GPS antenna will work.

The one I use is the Holux 213U. I bought mine on eBay for about $30.

It's been one of the best GPS unit's I've had so far.

http://search.ebay.com/holux_W0QQfromZR40

I hope this helps.

Dallas
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

JR - dumb question, but have you called Delorme Tech Services, or sent an email through their site (delorme.com, I think)?  They do sell directly, and they may be able to tell you how long a connecting USB cable you can use, if you decide to mount an earthmate receiver permanently.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton TX  - long time Delorme user.

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »

Nope, haven't called DeLorme.  But did look at their website or "parts" or some such...didn't see anything.  Don't know how I missed the DeLorme items on Ebay....they are obviously there.   Hey, I'm old and have "brownouts!"   
Will any (Holux?) GPS antenna work the the DeLorme Street Atlas?  Not especially computo literate. 
I'm wondering it the antenna that is supplied with the unit could stand the heat near the cap?  I looks a little fragile. 
Works great though.  I hooked it up and set the antenna on a patio chair and after about two minutes the antenna had a whole list of satellites or something that it was monitoring....maybe 12?  These may not be all satellites.   The green dot was exactly where it should be.  I'm impressed. 
About the only issue I see is the slowness of function...that's probably my laptop's age showing.  We're going to get a new notebook to carry in the bus..and use for whatever.   Using a 5 year old Toshiba Satellite and it works fine but slow.   Looking a something "Intel Duo" and 1 gig of ram...or something like that.
I've got a the two DeLorme antennas in my "watch" list.   We'll see how that works out.
One of the antennas was a serial port unit with a USB adaptor...reckon that's OK?

Thanks again, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 03:28:36 PM »

The holux will work with just about any software.

And pretty much, any antenna will work with just about any software, (with some caveats).

I have Delorme, MS Streets and Trips, Rand McNally, Map'N'Go, and about 4 other programs. Remember, software is software is software. They all have to conform to certain standards.

Dallas
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:30:43 PM by Dallas » Logged
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »

JR - dumb question, but have you called Delorme Tech Services, or sent an email through their site (delorme.com, I think)?  They do sell directly, and they may be able to tell you how long a connecting USB cable you can use, if you decide to mount an earthmate receiver permanently.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton TX  - long time Delorme user.

USB natively supports 5m (16.4 Ft.) however, there are "Active Repeater" Cables that allow up to the theoretical 80 ft run, Just in case you wanted to loop it around your entire bus and then hook it up...   Grin

I currently use the lt-20 antenna, and have had it extended to 26' without an active repeater, YMMV

With regard to the Serial to usb converter, i wolld ask the seller if it has been tested with that adapter, If it hasn't you can get an adapter for about $10.00 with driver support also

Jim
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

Just get a bluetooth antena for the laptop & a rikaline GPS,  no wire, fast initiation,  very good system.
Been using that for 2 years with street & trip.
               wrench
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:57 PM »

JR,

Just bought the Delorme LT-20 yesterday with the software new in the box.  I was in freeport and stopped by the store with the massive globe.  Anyway, it is USB powered.

They have a bluetooth one too, if you have bluetooth for your computer.

The guy at the store said they are coming out with a handheld in a couple weeks.

CompUSA carries them too last time I looked

HTH and Let'us Know what you find out

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »

Don't the "Bluetooth" antenas require batteries to operate?  The antenna would not be accessible once installed. 
Newbee, did you buy the whole LT20 Street Atlas thing?  Or just an antenna?  If just an antenna, may I axe what it cost?  I've already installed the system, and it works fine...just want an additional antenna for the bus.  I'm not sure it'll work laying on the dash???  If so, no problem. 
I bought some air horns and want to get all this stuff in during one operation.  Pulling the drivers area headliner out is a PIA!   Angry
Will not work laying next to my home windows...tried that.  Moved it outside and violer!  Got GPS!
I don't have Bluetooth anyway.  May have it in the next laptop...but haven't given that feature much thought...will do so.
Dallas, I'm gonna get you up here if what I buy don't work!  Grin    ROADTRIP!   We'll run up and see Bob and Jackie while you're up here fixing my computer!
Thanks for all the info! JR  Cool 
Still stuck at home at night.  Can't see.  Blind in one eye and no specs since cat surg.  BUT, I can see the computer great!  Can read too with my Wal Mart glasses!  Ended up with a focal point at about  two feet.    Cool.  Could be worse.  Get new glasses next week.  NEW Day arrives! I feel nekkid without my glasses. 
Just in time for Arcadia too.  See pretty good in the daylight...night vision is worse than before. 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
captain ron

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »

I use mine just laying on the dash and it works fine. I'm gonna get a suction cup holder though and stick it kind of permanently as it has fell off a few times with my lead foot. also had a pint can fall off the dash that the antena was on and smashed my mouse pad on my lap top that was sitting in the floor, so I just bought a tv wall mount that swivels to put my laptop on.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »

I got the whole thing Software and aentenna for $95.  I believe they're $99 at compUSA.  If you have the time, would probably be better to go Dallas's route with the extra aentenna from eplace

Glad to hear your Eyeballl is better and let us know how the NCBobs are if you go see them.

Maybe you could think about puting that headliner back with velcro since you your putting electronic gadgetry behind it,  murphy says reliability decreases inaccessability.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:11:41 PM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

belfert

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »

There are Bluetooth adapters for laptops that plug into the USB port.

If the antenna has to be hidden then Bluetooth is a moot point for you.

Brian Elfert
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 03:51:17 AM »

The best feature with the bluetooth system, is that with the BT antenna on the laptop(have to use a BLUETAKE for voice compatibillity) & a bluetooth ear piece (in my case a NOKIA BH200), the software tell me the direction in my ear, very clear, no noise interferance. & I can have an other BH200 on the other ear for the phone.  I try few other brand & model of ear piece, & the nokia beat them all flat on the ground. So comfortable that I end up in the shower a couple time with it!
  The rikaline run on rechargeable batt or cigar lighter.
                FWIW        wrench
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 04:59:26 AM »

I got my gps and antenna at gpsnow.com. The had some of the best prices I found at the time. Looks like they have quite a bit of Delorme stuff, so they'd probably have what you need.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »

Newbee, NC Bob also had cat surgery, and is doing fine.  He and Jackie are likely headed for Florda as we speak...Cliff may have more infor on said trip?  Either way,  Bob's DSL has been DC'd so he is out of pocket at this time.  Jackie is doing well also.   They are planning doing Arcardia.   
Regarding my headliner...it's a heavy plywood panel with vinyl on it.   Ain't no velcro gonna hold that thing.  We still have to install the rest of the headliner.  I've decided to attach a plywood base and glue the Ozite up to it.   Wanted to have it removeable, but...don't see any way.  Not and keep the ceiling smooth. 
Craig, what was the shortcut to the DeLorme stuff on the GPSnow site?  All I found was Garmin and MS Street ??.   I must have missed the DeLorme section...nothing new there!
Since I want to hide the unit, battery  powered BT won't be an option.  I'm gonna just try it with the unit on the dash.  If it works good.  I'm gonna install the horns tomorrow probalby and forget the "upstairs" antenna.   
Hell, I'll duct tape it to a mirror if I have to.    Not permanently of course. 
The only long triop planned now is Arcadia, and I can find that without any "aids"...just like these sort of toyz. 
Thanks for all hte info, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:44 AM »

Hmmm, yeah,  I don't see Delorme there now, other than topo mapping software and map books. I was sure they had other Delorme stuff.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 07:46:44 AM »

Hey Newbee & JR,

NCBob should be arriving at my place on Tuesday afternoon.

He's driving so the surgery must have worked out OK..... Tongue Roll Eyes

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 08:12:21 PM »

Thanks for the update Cliff, hope they're back at it and all is well!

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 08:43:04 PM »

Poor old NCBob must be having some bad karma.   He's going down in the worst weather we've had all fall!   I may just follow him down.  It's cold and raining up here.   I"d rather be in florida.... Embarrassed
However, did get a lot of work done inside the bus today.  It's warm in there.
Cliff, post us'ns something when they arrive.   We may have to go help'em somewhere?   
Hope all goes well.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: