Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 02:34:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water pumps  (Read 2327 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

Anyone using a water pump that is 120 volt? If so, what brand and model number are you using? I only have two sinks, shower and ice maker to keep busy. Shower head is water miser at 1.5 gpm.  Will be using PEX 1/2 for the entire system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »

I found a low priced "well pump" that is 110VAC and maintains a constant flow and pressure with its built in pressure switch and bladder tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Horsepower-Shallow-Well-Pump-with-Stainless-Steel-Housing-/300828810805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460acb5e35

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:16:23 AM »

I am sure Clifford will correct me if I am wrong but I think some of Prevost conversions came with a 120V pump.  If so, maybe one of those guys will be able to give you a part number.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:11:50 AM »

Flojet from lowes. I can tell you it's quiet (mounted it in rubber bushings) and works amazingly well. Plenty of pressure....way more than you'll need. If you go this route, it will NOT work unless you add a check valve between your tank and the pump AND you plumb in an expansion tank. I have experimented over several months with the system and now have it down perfectly. I'll post pics later today.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »

Thank you Scott, that is exactly what I was hoping for. I have tried to build the bus where most of the pieces could be quickly replaced at your local big box store! I would appreciate any details (model#s, schematics, ....... ) and any kind of insight you can provide.

Regards,

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »

To me that looks like a Chinese Built motor. And it is rather bulky. Shurflo makes a 120vac water pump that is just a bit more then the almost $100.00 they are asking with shipping. Stick to what's designed for motorhome use-you'll be much happier.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

Tom, I have much less experience than you, so I say this completely innocently, I like having house parts in our bus. They work better for the most part, don't leak, can take city water pressure without blowing seals, and provide house like comfort. The flojet we have has been used constantly this fall and winter and has run dry for literally 24 hours straight (don't ask) and still performs like a champ. Here's a photo of our setup:

Scott & Heather
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

Grant,

We purchased a DC powered Remco 5.5gpm variable speed pump.  It is supposed to keep the pressure between 60 and 80psi.  We are still hooking up our plumbing and have yet to test.  

Go like Scott mentioned and get yourself an accumulator to get rid of the constant off/ons and knocking pipes.  

We are trying to get as much as we can on DC power so I cannot really help with the 120v pump question.

Check our website.  I just posted about our plumbing updates this morning.

Click on the "Shell" link at the top of the page.

I'll report back in once we have all the fixtures attached and everything is up and running.

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »

I like keeping my pressure to around 40psi. Less strain on the plumbing and less flow that won't waste more water. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »

I am using the typical 12-volt Sureflo pump, but when we started, I checked out a number of small 120-VAC pumps at the local Home Depot that are designed for fountains. (The decorative kind of fountains, as you might put in a patio, or in front of an office building.) They have an amazing selection, in many different amperage and gallons-per-minute ratings. Some are small enough to fit in your hand. I wish you success!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »

I like keeping my pressure to around 40psi. Less strain on the plumbing and less flow that won't waste more water. Good Luck, TomC 

Yeah, in my experience, 40 is plenty (showers, kitchen sink fill, etc.). 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

The issue I have with the jet pumps is they are such over-kill for the application - the key feature they have is they can pump from around a 90 foot depth of well, and we run them usually with the water supply higher than the pump.  They are usually 1/2 hp (or more), which means about 5 amps at 120 vac and a big surge at starting.  If you are on a 30 amp pedestal that can be a big chunk of available power, and if you try to run it from an inverter that's around 60 amps at 12 volts.  They also weigh a ton - around 50 lbs.  A pump like this one is designed for park model RV's and is on-demand activated, small, light, energy efficient.  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/shurflo-pump.htm  It's not that the jet pump doesn't work, it's that it's like using a sledge hammer to drive finishing nails.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »

Ditto what Brian said :-) true story. We are pretty much 50 amp dependent with our coach setup but we have spent several months happily hooked to 30 amp without issue. But yes, definitely overkill. This thing pumps some serious water. If we ever have a fire, we are putting it out Cheesy

Scott & Heather
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

Scott, go easy on that water to put out a fire on an RV. Typically most RV fires are grease, fuel, A/C refrigerant, oil, power steering, and probably more fires for which water is totally not the appropriate medium for extinguishing them.

Get several on board extinguishers appropriate for extinguishing a fire of chemical and electrical origin and keep them charged. One of our friends had work done on their A/C system. After driving for several miles, one of the hoses ruptured and spewed refrigerant onto the engine. The surface temperature created the ignition source. The end result was not pretty. Hand held extinguishers were not big enough to put out the fire.

Water is good for extinguishing a camp fire and that is about it. Of course if your campfire has set off the surrounding woods, call 911 and get the heck out of there!

That's my 2 cents worth.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

Sage advice. We have a huge (my wife has trouble picking it up) extinguisher. Good for three fire types. Will be buying a second one too. But yes, fighting fire with water isn't always the best option.

Scott & Heather
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: