Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 05:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OVER THE LINE  (Read 1155 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

Looking down and checking the gauges and everything looks normal, volts are up, temps are down and the fuel gauge just a notch off of full.  Reaching over to the dash, I grab a fresh stick of bubble gum out of the pink carton which is lying on top of the Flyin Hooker fuel card next to my wallet. 

Suddenly a wave of sadness rolls over me like a hot summer breeze.  All summer long I have been spoon feeding the fuel card, a hundred here, fifty there, give up a couple of twenties and now there it lies.  Like a three day old dead fish.  Spent.  Empty.  D.O.A. at the next pump it finds.  The needle wiggles a little just under “full” and we head west.

Fortunately the weather is nice, not a lot of wind, lite traffic.  Caffeine Free Diet Coke in the drink tray and a fresh stick of gum, I am good for a hundred miles at least.  Nothing like a full tank, groceries in the box, and the road she calls to me like a lover in the dark.

Today is much better than yesterday, yesterday was a little shop of horrors and not a whole lot of interstate fun.  First the left lane was shut down in fifteen hundred feet for what appeared to be “no reason at all.”  Then some idiot freight hauler who very much intent on getting into the lane I was occupying pushes his way into my world. 

So I let him in, this monkey fresh outta the truck driving academy.  Where they taught him how to double clutch (not, most freight haulers are running air shift/automatic’s these days) showed him how to jack-knife and bump the dock (again ... most likely will leave it in some company lot) and cheerfully assigned him a super secret CB Code name (which also doesn’t make sense because he is gonna be on a cellphone most of the time). 

He comes over without so much as a thank you.  Don’t you just hate it when everyone wants to play “Who has the best insurance.”

Now the road funnels down to what I call “kind of skinny,” a hard concrete barrier on the right. Backing down on the throttle, I ease over to the left and start taking my fair share out of the middle.   Which is not making me a lot of friends in the trucking community behind me at the time.  Some would consider this maneuver a little bit rude at best, but there is a valid reason.

The last time this happened, I tried to be a “good buddy” and share it all with them, and they in turn tried to bully me into the concrete barrier which we all know is not a good deal. 

So now, I take my share out of the middle, I meet the legal limits for construction areas and if they do not like it, then I guess they can call someone about it.  But no, they would rather imply that my parents were never married on the C.B. (which I usually turn off early in the game anyway) and threaten me with mortal harm.

Meanwhile we just motor along and I think to myself ... Are we having fun yet?

Eventually the road opens up, I signal a right turn and head into the Pokie Okie lane and three hard chargers come roaring by, and indicate to me that Old Eagle Buses are #1 this day in the Land of Enchantment.  I just smile and crank up the CD Player.

The last time I had this much fun was at a multi-truck pileup on Interstate Forty outside of Gallup, where the New Mexico state trooper had a flare go off in his pants pocket.  This is when several of us were required to sign this hastily drawn up penciled in document about not making any of this public under threat of prosecution (something called a confidentiality something or rather).

But then again, that is a whole ‘nother story Y’all (Okie Talk) and I need to hunt some parking, wife wants to watch Dancin’ With The Stars and I am gonna cop me some rest.  I am so glad that VISA raised my limits and my therapist changed my anxiety meds, this is gonna be the best Christmas yet.

Have a good weekend, watch them right handers.

BoxCarOkie (CTA)
The Real Deal ... Accept no substitutes.

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »

Have you considered becoming a writer?  HB of CJ (old coot)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »

Don -

Great "war story!"   Grin

That pic looks like I-40 somewhere between Barstow & Needles. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:55 AM »

Well said Don. I am a wishin I was headed down th road with ya but caint leave till Christmas day. I knew you would understand that OK lingo. will  you 2 be in the west this winter? We will be in Tucson with a short jaunt to Q and Yuma.
LeRoy
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »

Hey Don, if you're gonna take a pic at least clean the bugs off man, lol.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:24:44 PM »

Great story! Lived this one in my imagination!

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »

Have you considered becoming a writer?  HB of CJ (old coot)

Every now and then, but usually do not follow thru on any of it.  I have been encouraged to pursue it further, but what I have now seems to be working for me, and as I am low maint. and do not easy enter into other pursuits, I just hack away here and there.

Thanks for the comment.

BCO (CTA)

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 05:27:58 AM »

Don -

Great "war story!"   Grin

That pic looks like I-40 somewhere between Barstow & Needles. . .

Wink

Nope it isn't either.  I am not all that sure where it was, but I know it was not there.  (I have slept since then RJ hahaha)

Thanks for your comment

BCO (CTA)

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »

Well said Don. I am a wishin I was headed down th road with ya but caint leave till Christmas day. I knew you would understand that OK lingo. will  you 2 be in the west this winter? We will be in Tucson with a short jaunt to Q and Yuma.
LeRoy

We are not going west this year, other than what we have already done LeRoy.  We should be home in a couple of days and then we will shut down until April, then it is off to Tenn.  And we have been considering the Old Gray Hound thing over there by Memphis, but are not locked down on anything for sure.

You get around a lot more than me, I read your blog, tell the bride, she does a good job on it.

Thanks,

BCO (CTA)

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »

Hey Don, if you're gonna take a pic at least clean the bugs off man, lol.

Hard to get a good road shot without bugs Boomer.  You know, you own an Iggle.  We cannot take them to the car wash and I am to lazy to get up on a ladder and do it.  We were in Florida and the windshield was loaded with them, and the wife she says, "What kind of bugs are those?" and I quickly responded, "Love Bugs."

So she says, "How do you know they are Love Bugs, you don't live around here."

And I said, "Yeah?  Well, they are hitting the windshield TWO AT A TIME that tells me they are love bugs.

(Guess where RJ?)

Thanks for your comment.

BCO (CTA)

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:37:02 AM »

Great story! Lived this one in my imagination!

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

GOOD DEAL!  It is all about imagery isn't it?  You can make a million trips in your mind, and it doesn't cost a dime.  That my friend, is a good deal.

Thanks for your reply,

BCO (CTA)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: