Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 04:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuffing the Hole!  (Read 2080 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:31 AM »

Happy Sunny Day!

Hopefully you all have great weather for the weekend.  This question is in reference to a 1984 Eagle 10S

On to the fun stuff!  There is a cable "tray" for lack of a better word that runs from the furthest bay in the back under the bedroom floor and into the engine compartment.  The PO had a piece of foam and some reflectix stuffed in there with all the hoses, wires and airlines.  I pulled all that out and started cleaning it up.  

I am sure that there should there be some kind of "firewall" at the end of this tray going into the engine compartment but for a quick fix -  is there any type of foam or insulation that is reccomended for stuffing up this hole and insulating this area of the bus?  

See pic for reference, That is a picture of the cable under the bedroom floor going under the bed.

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:20:08 AM »

There is a expanding fire resisting foam comes in a tube and has to be activated by pumping a rod that is part of the container!  I used to use it in turbine engine stators and was struck reading the label which indicated it was for electrical conduit seals in commercial buildilngs.  Have no clue where We got it from but would think it that could be found on the web.  Is a dark grey and very tenacious.  John L
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:15 AM »

Search online for "firestop" materials.  There are many used in telecommunications and construction.  Here is one example:
http://www.industrialinsulation.com/firestop_pillow.htm

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »

Any Home Depot will have expanding foam in a spray can that is fire proof,, I've used it several times.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like you could drop a steel plate in that hole and cut a piece of polyiso foam to go on top.  Instead of it being permanently closed, it would be useable for access if you ever needed it.  Even a piece of plywood with a sheet metal face would work.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »

Sealed ours using this stuff, made a backing plate and back filled it up. I don't remember whether or not it is fire resistant  , but if there is a fire in the engine bay it ain't gonna matter much lol.
in this picture, used the foam to seal up a repair area on a fridge.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:49:12 AM by Van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »

The same company makes the fire proof foam,, its a pink color, simular can..>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Midwilshire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like you could drop a steel plate in that hole and cut a piece of polyiso foam to go on top.  Instead of it being permanently closed, it would be useable for access if you ever needed it.  Even a piece of plywood with a sheet metal face would work.

What he said.  I'd slap a piece of sheet metal over that and insulate on top.  You might want easy access to that area.

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Tampa, FL
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »

If I may chime in, I think the question is how to best seal the open end of the wire chase. Think in terms of a fire in the engine area creating heat and pressure and having the heat and flame pushing through the open conduit like a blow torch, spreading the fire to another area of the bus.
Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Midwilshire

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »

If I may chime in, I think the question is how to best seal the open end of the wire chase. Think in terms of a fire in the engine area creating heat and pressure and having the heat and flame pushing through the open conduit like a blow torch, spreading the fire to another area of the bus.
Dennis

Ohhhhh.   Yes, that would be a good idea.  Smiley

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Tampa, FL
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »

Lin - I am getting pricing on steel plates this week Smiley. Good idea.

Dennis - I wish I had the time to do this right and cut a plate to bolt up the hole but that aint gonna happen now.  Maybe later.  Might be tough to do without disconnecting everything and making all the appropriate access holes.

As far as the foam stuff goes - my only concern is if it emits fumes while smoldering.  I'm definitly going to look into using the foam spray though.  Just want to make sure I get the right stuff.  I'll probably lay down some fire resistant cloth-like material on top of everything before I spray it in.  This way if I ever do need to access this area it won't be a PIA. 

I did take the auxillary pump out and moved it to the next bay down.  I don't think I'd need to access anything else in there unless a pipe breaks or wire burns up or rots apart.  All the hoses and cables are in excellent condition.  I am going to put a 2' pipe through the tray though so if I have to run any cable later there will already be a place to pull it through.

Thanks again for all the insight.

-Sean

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

Mice eat wires and air lines. snakes eat mice.--found snake skin in bus tunnel. I now seal all holes I can. Mice have eaten hole in my air lines in tunnel. Any type of seal rubber foam steel or Huh is better than nothing. For info from experience. The air lines I just tied new line on back and pulled new back to front line in thru tunnel. 3 lines.  now keep mice bait in bus in out of way places. tunnel going down road with open end acts like a vac sucking air out of bus(heat or air conditioning)   Just my opinion and experience.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »

Bob, if snake eats mice and mice were in tunnel. You now sealed tunnel so what are snakes going to eat? LOL

Dave5Cs Grin

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »

Bob, if snake eats mice and mice were in tunnel. You now sealed tunnel so what are snakes going to eat? LOL

Dave5Cs Grin
SNAKES ON THE PLANE! BUS!! RUN!! Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »

Believe me I checked it out from one end to other. Mine has removable cover on both ends but boots had been damaged around conduit. They are now fixed. Plus a little extra! Makes you open draws a little slow for awhile. The one to outside does not stay off longer than time to do work then rite back on before I leave. I use to leave open weeks at a time.  Over kill I know---but makes me feel better. Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: