Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on block heater for 6V92  (Read 2073 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »

I was gonna post on the old thread here http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22261.0 but the forum warned me about posting to a thread over 120 days old. That only served to remind me how trifling I have been about getting this fixed!  Sad

Anyway, I had to remove the AC compressor and a bunch of wires and hoses and finally got to where I ( actually I hornswoggled my son into doing this for me!!   Grin Grin  ) could see the heater & it is the plate deal with 3 bolts into the block. Of course, I didn't KNOW that when I told my son to just keep turning it! It will unscrew!!! After it DIDN'T unscrew, we removed all the stuff it was hiding behind & found the plate. Once he got that off & drowned hisself in antifreeze, it looks like the element goes into the block & then makes a 90 degree turn up into the water jacket. I can't see in the hole but we can't fit the heater we have straight into the block. Of course, I 'm trying to save some of the 100 gallons of antifreeze instead of wasting it all on a bath for my son.

Bottom line is, has anyone seen a bent up element heater instead of a straight one? Or is it I just can't hit the hole?

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »

many are designed to be 90 degree...you need to get the correct "bent" one  Grin
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »

In my experience straight ones are designed to go into the front of the block, 90 degree ones go into the side of the block with the plate.  Sounds like you just need to order the right part, now that you know.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

I have to admit I am woefully uninformed on heaters. In 49 years of fooling with DDs, this is the 2nd one I have had to replace.

Anybody have the correct part number? Being as I have destroyed the old one!!   Grin Grin

TOM

Delaware

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »

Scroll down to Detroit.  Match what you think you need to what they have, good pictures.  http://www.a-and-lsystems.com/In-Block%20Heaters%281%29.pdf

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »

http://www.jjebheaters.com/products.htm#detroit

Scroll to Detroit. Pick your engine.

I've had one of these 17 years.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »

I think you have to remove a threaded plug on the end of the block to install the straight one. It can be a real bitch to remove that plug without the proper socket with a plug end on it. Have the store look up the details of the block heaters, They list them according to installation location, and the V engines can use at least list two different ones, although I vaguely remember that the 6-71 can use a straight one in the end of block also. I know that NAPA used to list them.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »

TOM,

I feel your pain.  It's funny how you always start a project like this thinking.."Ah this will be easy....3 bolts, pull the old one, put in the new one"...then 2 weeks, bloody knuckles and hundreds of dollars later....

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:23 AM »

TOM,

I feel your pain.  It's funny how you always start a project like this thinking.."Ah this will be easy....3 bolts, pull the old one, put in the new one"...then 2 weeks, bloody knuckles and hundreds of dollars later....

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org

Ain't THAT the truth!

Thanks to all for the links, advice & observations. One of the links made reference to an alternate location in the oil cooler for the straight type heater, which is what I already have on hand. I'm going to see if I have the type of cooler that will accept the heater. If not, I'm going to call Luke at US Coach & see what he's got. We're going to use the coach to visit the grand kids over Christmas so now I'm debating whether to start this project again now, or leave well enough alone until after that trip.

Hmmmmmmmm........  It's raining for the next few days....... it's Christmas soon......... bus still starts OK.............

I THINK I'LL SEE IF I CAN GET SANTA TO HELP ME!!!!  AFTER CHRISTMAS!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

He'll need something to keep him busy anyway!   Grin Grin Grin

TOM

Delaware

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »

HERE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Start-860-1704-Block-Heater-/251026725125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a725bd905&vxp=mtr

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=2051.0

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

If you want the one that fits the block up front with the 4 bolts Tom I can send it to you if you have the cord only costs you a few crab cakes lol

good luck
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:28:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »

If you want the one that fits the block up front with the 4 bolts Tom I can send it to you if you have the cord only costs you a few crab cakes lol

good luck

Crabcakes....LOL

We are going to have to place a special order when season comes around Wink

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »

Do not know the 6V that well, but the 8V has a perfect location just above the oil cooler where the water enters the block, there is a pipe plug, 3/4" I think, I screwed a 1500 watt 120 Volt heater probe in,  it works as good as or better than any other I have used.
Just an opinion.
Merry Christmas
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

good luck

Be cheaper to buy the heater!!  LOL!!

Let me see if I have a place in the oil cooler for the one I have on hand first..

You gonna come out & pick up the crab cakes? I can treat you to a few fresh ones while you are here... 

TOM

Delaware

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »

The one I have Tom fits on the right side looking from the front just below the head I'll send it anyway and worry later about the crab cakes man those were good

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: