Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 01:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eagle (6v92TA) 10S Challenge - Help!  (Read 3882 times)
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »

Sounds to me like a simple problem of a switch shut off.
It may be the "shut down switch" used in the rear by the mechanic while the front switch is still on.

Either way it's definitely shutting down as the air builds up.

If it's a "low coolant sensor" you can "temp" bypass that with a paper clip to see if it allows it to run longer or not. If it does then it's a bad sensor or connection.
Grin  BK  Grin
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »

Take note of the eagle's warning.

Yes, there were mechanical 6V92 turbos. The first 102 A had 'em, the big smoke clouds on pull away...

.BUT WITOUT THAT CYLINDER IN PLACE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SHUT THE MOTOR DOWN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WITHOUT DRASTIC SECONDARY MEASURES ..LIKE RUNNING OUT OF FUEL....YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE SHUT DOWN MANUALLY.< i USE A BROOM STICK...AND I DO NOT HAVE A 700 DEGREE TURBO IN MY WAY....AFTER THE MOTOR IS RUNNING IS NOT THE TIME TO REALIZE THAT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

you are a mechanical 92 series ??...non DDEC....HuhHuh?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »

If it's a "low coolant sensor" you can "temp" bypass that with a paper clip to see if it allows it to run longer or not. If it does then it's a bad sensor or connection.

or you can look in the surge tank and see if it is low on coolant...if it is and there is a sender and wire attached....fill it up to above the level of the unit...that will "reset" the low water shut down. if that is your trouble you got a real easy Christmas gift...
but if you drove it for any length of time and did not drain the engine...[which is easy...but i digress]....then the odds of an air block are less... but still very possible.

so...read and absorb all what has been written...say a litttle prayer and then go forth and become one with your motive power... Wink

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

Eagle 19952 is correct Sean's bus does not have a low coolant shut down only a light for low coolant it does have hi temp shut down,a simple fix when he figures out the system

Life is short drink the good wine first
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »

Everybody -

Sean's Eagle has a MECHANICAL 6V92TA engine.

It is NOT a DDEC!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »

I knew that lol to add his model 10 may have a all in one fuel shut down that may throw him when he starts looking for a skinner valve and a air slave cylinder

Life is short drink the good wine first
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 03:43:52 AM »

BK, Great catch, I should have thought of that also.  Sure does have that sound when the air builds up with the switch off.
Merry Christmas
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »

In original post he said he ran to front of bus to make sure front key was on because he had made mistake before.  Also said later he had mechanical engine, Did not know Eagle didn't have low coolant sensor.  Just trying to understand myself and help.    Dumb thing to check and don't tell if you find out --- out of fuel???  you can have a little in tank but be above pick up.  Bob   Guilty!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:16:54 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »

Turbo does nothing for starting and idling. You're getting fuel-if you were loosing your prime it would start and sputter off rather fast.
What is happening is you start the engine and the air pressure starts to build up. Then when it gets to around 20 psi-that's enough for the stop air piston to close the governor. You have some sort of short in the on/off solenoid or it isn't getting power to keep the piston open. Simple experiment-take the stop air piston off the top of the governor and start the engine and see if it continues to run. Then to stop it you can just reach in and push the lever by hand. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »

Quote from:  Grin  BK  Grin
Quote from: eagle19952
or you can look in the surge tank and see if it is low on coolant...if it is and there is a sender and wire attached....fill it up to above the level of the unit...that will "reset" the low water shut down. if that is your trouble you got a real easy Christmas gift...
but if you drove it for any length of time and did not drain the engine...[which is easy...but i digress]....then the odds of an air block are less... but still very possible.

so...read and absorb all what has been written...say a litttle prayer and then go forth and become one with your motive power... Wink

OK so I didn't spell it out. The part about using a paper clip was to see if the sensor was bad or he'd messed up the wiring/connection when working on it.
I took it for granted that he's already made sure that the "surge tank" was full!
Grin  BK  Grin
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »

Interesting, If you have the fast idle setup in addition to the air shutdown, you need to keep a clear head as to what is what.  One of the things I enjoyed about playing the DD engines and all the various setups, no end to what evers.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
Central Virginia
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

One more thought on the TA engines, IF I ever did another 6V or 8V with the after cooler mounted in the vee, I would remove it and plumb in a CAC and mount on the cool side of the radiator.  Reasons, Less restrictive, more power ,get it out of the vee, next the much cooler air from the CAC improved hp
Have removed then and engine was much peppier but the egt went up quicker.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
Central Virginia
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »

Hi Sean, Sorry you are having problems. I had the same issue with your bus when I was at Arcadia and the bus had lost prime. Also had the same issue with the current bus but it was due to needing to rebuild the Racor filter. Remember that you have an electric fuel pump that is plumbed in the fuel filter and if you place the hose in a five gallon fuel can and turn on the pump, it will prime the system and allow the fuel pump to pick up fuel. If it lost prime then you need to figure out why. I had a leaking cross over pipe at Arcadia and it was making oil! Changed the oil and repaired when we got home. Your engine is a 6V92 TA mechanical engine.
This is the joys of bus ownership!!

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 05:50:25 AM »

I'm betting on one of the the high temp shutdowns on the thermostat housings. It's right where you were working and simple is usually better in times like these.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that after about an hour of tinkering in the back of the bus this morning we finally figured out what it was.

It seems that one of the negative DC wires from the oil pressure gauge that sends a signal to one of the 2 skinner valves became disconnected.  After toning out all the wires we made our best guess and she runs purrrfectly fine now.

There are so many wires unlabled and disconnected in the back it had us scratching our heads for a little trying to narrow it down.  Would be good for me to go through and rewire/relabel and clean it up a little in the back end there.  It will end up being a few new posts I am sure of it.

Thanks guys for all your help.  You got my nose in just the right spot and it helped me tremendously in fixing this.  You are all a bunch of bus bad asses.

-Sean

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: