Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 12:40:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using Skype?  (Read 967 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

I've got the 20gb plan through Millenicom. The upstream provider is Verizon. I'm just wondering if anyone has used Skype in the same kind of mobile environment?  How much data usage is associated with a typical, let's say, 10 minute conversation?

Thanks.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

What you need is a solid relatively high bandwidth connection, probably more than a typical campground wifi can provide.  We use it with a connection that has around 3 meg of Downstream , probably only 128K upstream bandwidth, a fairly good 3G connection, and it still drops from time to time on voice only.  Never thought to measure actual usage per minute or anything like that.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »

We rely on Skype because of our overseas relatives in England. We have a 5 gig plan with ATT and it rarely uses more than 2 gigs a month. We had Netzero for a couple of years while we workcamped and even with a slow dialup connection Skype was useable, though it would fade in and out on occasion. In our experience it doesn't take much to make a Skype connection work. Never really paid much attention to usage per minute though.
I should add, using the park wifi here we don't have any problems with it and when on the road almost any wifi that is strong enough to get into our email accounts is strong enough to use Skype. And no, I don't have any affiliation with Skype, just a happy customer that saves a lot of moola using them,
Will Smiley

One last thing, we average 6 hours on Skype per week.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »

We've used Skype for a long time.  The actual bandwidth consumption is minimal and we've used it on some pretty flaky connections - sometimes you get dropped unceremoniously but its really quite amazing how well it works most of the time.  If I'm using it for business I will usually warn my client but I have been known to bluff that and get away with it. 

We tried to use Skype-to-phone over our Hughes satellite connection and that was a complete disaster.  We did however have some success using Skype to Skype over the Hughes dish.  I'm not sure what is different in that situation but it gave us a usable connection, just a bit of a lag but you can sometimes have a lag in any VOIP connection in my experience.

To the OP question, I doubt you could use up 20 GB if you stayed on the phone 24/7 for the whole month BICBW.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
GreyEagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

We used it today to talk and visit with our son, his DW and the 3 grandkids. They're stationed in Germany for the next 3 years counting this one and it's was the only way we could see them..... no problems, worked great.. All free too!!!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:00:55 PM by GreyEagle » Logged

GreyEagle
U.S.Army
E-8 MSG
RETIRED
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »

They're stationed in Germany for the next 3 years counting this one and it's was the only way we could see them.....

Grey -

Where in Germany?  My son recently got back to the States after 5.5 years @ Spangdahlem AFB.

RJ

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »

It just occured to me that we never use Skype video.  Doing that will likely increase your bandwidth consumption.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
GreyEagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:12:19 AM »

Grey -

Where in Germany?  My son recently got back to the States after 5.5 years @ Spangdahlem AFB.

RJ

Just outside of Kaiserslautern. He's stationed at a hospital there. OIC for maintenance / calibration etc.
just returned from Afghanistan then went to the AWOC (Advanced Warrant Officer Course) and off the Germany for 3 years.

GreyEagle
U.S.Army
E-8 MSG
RETIRED
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »

We love Skype! I use it more from the smarty phone, yesterday two video calls to the Netherlands (Rotterdam/Brabant), and another with my Buddie who is visiting his schotzy back in Farankfurt. Sure does save a lot of postage and Long distance charges.  Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: