Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 01:49:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GM PD4106 - Origin/Availability of Side Window Fluting and Lower Trim Pieces  (Read 1891 times)
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »

GM Guys -

The CT Trolley Museum guys posted an interesting question to OneLapper and me.  They are in the early stages of designing PD4106-1616's Connecticut Company livery paint job.  In comparing -1616 to a historical photo of a CT Co PD4106 they're using to drive their design, they noticed that the bus in their photo had aluminum fluting around the passenger widows - and an additional trim piece below.  Neither -1616 (a very early '63) nor Mark's bus (a later '63) has this.  I know I have seen it on a 1965.

Questions:
1.) Was this a trim option, something that was added to the later coaches - or something that might have been on -1616 but was later removed?
2.) Does anyone know of any 4106s being scrapped (preferably here out East) that might have those parts on it?  If the pieces are available, it would be a nice-to-have.

I've attached the CT Co 4106 photograph as well as one of -1616 (with Mark watching me try to electrocute myself) to try to illustrate what we're talking about.  Any help would be appreciated.

Take care,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

Correction - Mark's does have it!

Busnut wannabe.
Darkspeed

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

My 4106-1070 has the tabs where the window trim would be attached but no indication it was ever on the bus.

Todd
4106-1070 6V92T + V730
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

Brad -

The fluted panels between the side sash and the 4" trim piece belt molding were both options.

I have some of the 4" molding, but shipping it to CT from CA would be very hazardous to it's health.

Vast majority of folk would never notice if it's there or not.  Busnuts aren't detail crazy like vintage car nuts. . .

IBP in Apopka FL could probably make up some for you.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

My 4106 (1885) has the trim you speak of however as RJ pointed out they where an option for each buyer. Mine came from Las Vegas/Tonopah/ Reno Stage lines and was never a "hound". You may have to have them made, finding them on the "street" will shurly be a difficult task.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

Brad,

I have a couple of these fluted panels I'd be willing to sell. They are the ones that fit between the "D" window and the first slider. The driver's side one is in good shape. The passenger side one has some small dents from the inside that shouldn't be too hard to repair.

PM me if the museum might interested.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »

Guys -

Thanks for the inputs, really appreciate it, very helpful. 

Bob, thanks for the offer and pictures, right now we'll keep looking for a full set - if there even is one.  That said, Mark noted to me off-line that getting the trim off an existing bus would mean having to remove the interior walls to get at the fasteners holding the trim in place.  Does not sound like fun.

Not a world-ender, for sure, I'm sure the project can go full-steam ahead with or without the trim, indeed very few would know enough about the old buses to notice it's missing on this one.  If I had to make the call right now it sounds like they should just order more blue paint, but we'll try a little more.

Thanks again,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »

Brad -

Does the museum have any later pics of their fleet?  Many fleets repainted the area between the side sash in black in later years.  If you could find a pic of the fleet circa mid/late '70s > '90s you could duplicate that and still be "correct."

Unless, of course, they want it "as delivered new."

If you look at my avatar here, and then look at my avatar over on BNO, you'll see the same bus with different paint.

Personally, I really like the '04 and '06 with the black window treatment. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »

RJ - Good question, not sure if the blackout treatment is an option; I do have another picture but I think it's even earlier (#1901 - wearing whitewalls! - see attached).  I've asked if they'd just like to paint -1616 as delivered new to Hudson Transit Corp. in Mahway, NJ - but then it wouldn't match the rest of their fleet, which is all Connecticut Co.   More as it comes...  Thanks again, Brad 

Busnut wannabe.
Darkspeed

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »

WHITEWALLS? Where can i buy whitewalls for my 4106??

Todd
4106-1070 6V92T + V730
hatchhome
Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks your NUTS!

My wife is looking for the bus nut cure.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »

Did you ever find a set, I may be able to get you all the pieces between the windows, just not the bottom piece because I need that for me Smiley

Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »

Did you ever find a set, I may be able to get you all the pieces between the windows, just not the bottom piece because I need that for me Smiley

Nope, they never did find all the pieces.  They ended up repainting the bus as it is.  I was up at the museum late November lending a hand with an over charging issue.  This spring they should rolling it out of the garage...........

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
hatchhome

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »

Although I doubt the person will donate them, he is parting out a 4106 and his prices are good.  Will inquire and report back.

Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

Thanks!  Let us know what he has left.  I've been looking for a good tailgate and a solid rear window for a while. 

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
hatchhome

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »

The parts bus has all three, the back Window I think he wants 500 for all 3 plus the seals. I was going to get but decided my mold is good enough. I asked him about the other parts and still waiting to hear back. Cheers

Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: