Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 04:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constant air supply to tires  (Read 1786 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »

http://ca.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2_0_0_1_177564_AML0i2IAAA6kUNxqjQu%2FxhmM4LQ&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

On a recent trip to Puerto Vallarta, I noticed a lot of buses had this air supply to all tires. You don't see this on buses up here. Logging trucks here are using this system more in the last couple of years, but I think the purpose is to air down for bush roads, and air back up for the highway.

Advantages? Disadvantages?

I can see if you had a slow leak, you wouldn't know ?

Those hoses sticking out could get caught and ripped off ?

Anybody with experience with this kind of system?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

Link did not work for me.

Sounds like an interesting idea and would love to hear more.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »

Most of the ready-mix concrete trucks in our area have this rig on the drive axles. Also, most are using the tandem steering setup with wide-base tires, for flotation and to stay within road weight limits.

I haven't noticed the air supply setup on any other commercial rigs here.

Regards.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

There was a program in SK for a while - may still be in place.  Federated Co-op had this system on their queen B's and they had some overweight privileges as a result.  They could run overweight on the axle or overweight based on tire width - I can't remember the details but the weights were somehow related to what tire pressure they were running.

I agree that it looks like one more thing to go wrong or get broke off and I don't understand how that rotating seal in the middle works.

(edit)
Just noticed the reference to Puerto Vallarta JC.  Perhaps I'm too cynical but I'd be afraid that in Mexico the main purpose would end up being to avoid having to fix slow leaks. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:32:32 AM by bobofthenorth » Logged

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

It is a option on Volvo buses sold here in states the H1 Hummer has the setup except it goes through the wheel pretty neat setup on the Hummers

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »

Here is the picture:

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

The one in the picture is on a late model Irizar. They were on late model Volvo and Mercedes buses as well that are used for airport transfers and sightseeing tours and excursions. I also saw them on a long distance 3 axle coach (I forget  the brand). They weren't on the city buses. So yea, they could mask a slow leak I suppose. What if you had a fast leak, that might not help very much. Unless there is a tire pressure monitoring system attached as well. I wish I would've asked more questions, although that would not have gone very far with my limited Spanish...

How about Dr Steve Mex-Busnut, are you reading this? What do you know?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »

Since this is Mexico my guess is they will deflate the tires when going off road and then inflate them when getting back on pavement.  My understanding is sometimes when they repair roads they just route traffic out onto the dirt for a detour.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

Here's the Volvo we pulled up next to at Rail Road Pass Nv.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:56:33 PM by Van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »

I have seen what appears to be that exact same system used on some of the B Train fuel tankers here in Southern Ontario.

All these things sort of arrived ahead of one another. The steady feed of air idea came along just ahead of decent tire pressure monitors. The cats eye units and related technologies all in there too.

The goal is proper tire inflation, since catastrophic tire failure primarily comes from running under-inflated.

I expect the in-cab displayed tire pressure monitors will win, the rest will become trivia answers, regulating tends to do that...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

I remember several years ago seeing a setup in the trucking mags. A round puck that was free to rotate was mounted on the center of hub by a stubby shaft and a small hose attached to each of the tires on the duals and connected to the puck, keeping it from rotating. Inside the puck was a tiny air compressor that operated by rotation of hub. It had an adjustable air pressure regulator built in. It was to maintain proper air pressure, but wasn't designed to deal with moderate or significant leaks. Too lazy to look to see if they are still avail. If you are concerned about tires going low or flat, investing instead in a tire pressure sensor/ monitoring system could be an option.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »

TIREBOSS, Will it get stuck?

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

Thanks guys. I still don't see why you'd want that on a highway coach. Unless you're anticipating going off road, or driving in snow. When I drove the ski buses, and the hockey team's bus, there are times when lowering the pressure would've been nice, such as climbing mountain passes during a storm. Hey,you could still deflate manually, and air back up with a hose off coach air, or a portable compressor. That would take some time though...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:30 AM »

Next month I'll be in Mexico, taking buses between Toluca, Puebla, Cordoba, Veracruz and maybe elsewhere.   I'll try to ask the drivers there exactly why these air supplies are fitted to the new buses.   The city buses and the older buses don't have them.

John 

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »

Great John, that will be interesting.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print