Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 02:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil analysis  (Read 1606 times)
Rube

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:06:46 AM »

how much oil do i need and who do I send it to for an oil anaysis?

thanks
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:19:01 AM »

Call your local DD dealer, they should be able to help.

You didn't ask, but for others who may not realize it, a single analysis won't tell much.

An analysis is just a tool, like a compression tester, exhaust analyzer, torque wrench, volt meter, etc.

A series of them at regular intervals along with the maint logs will provide much more information concerning engine health and potential problems.

I have heard that a coolant analysis can be usefull also.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Rube

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:26:07 PM »

so... since I am going to look a a bus in the very near future - getting a quart from the bus and sending it to a DD dealer for analysis will not give me insight as to the condition of the engine since I don't have a series of analysis's over a period of time? Hope that made sense.
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »

Rube, the analysis does a couple of different things.

Any given one give you a snapshot and it must be read that way.

Several snapshots in sequence will tell you a story that goes beyond what any single snapshot will.

A single snapshot will tell you a lot about what's NOT wrong.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:50:07 AM »

A single analysis can tell you some things. But what if the oil was recently changed? What if it was used oil that was put back in to hide a big problem?

I would do the oil analysis, just be careful about reading too much into one snapshot.

If you can drive the bus, take it for a 30+ min ride (longer is better, or so I hear Wink) & put it on the hi-way before you take the sample.

just my $.02 worth,

Enjoy the trip to look at the bus, and remember, there are lots of good ones out there, so don't settle for a basket case.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »

DD has a kit that includes everything you need to do the analysis except the postage. They're about $16 for everything. The postage from Alaska is only a couple of dollars.
If you've never done this try it once and get your eyes opened. It cost less than 5 gallons of fuel.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: