Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake failure = jail time  (Read 2647 times)
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »

I have never seen or heard about water to cool brakes here in S.E. BC. That would be because it would freeze in the tank and lines before getting to the brakes.

JC

Grin Awe it'll work, just add ALCOHOL to keep it from freezing! Grin  LOL!

Grin  BK  Grin

(Disclaimer for the super serious and STUPID; IT's A JOKE! please notice the smileys and LOL)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »

For anyone who is interested..... CDL PracticeTest...... good info

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/cdl-practice-tests/air-brakes/

I ran through both of the tests and passed both.  Some of the questions are almost identical, but not quite.  Even if I can pass these tests I wouldn't feel qualified to do major work on air brakes.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »

Those are just the tests to get the driver's license.  They don't let you work on air brakes if you are a commercial driver.  Driver's aren't even allowed to adjust slack adjusters here, if the daily checks fail they have to get a licensed mechanic to make the adjustment.  There is a course that can be taken, with a test, to be rated to adjust manual slack adjusters but not automatic slack adjusters (Ontario, as of a couple of years ago).  I took a two day course and passed the practical and written tests to get my air brake endorsement (mandatory in Canada) and I have to re-write the written test every two years.  The hardest part is re-learning the tractor protection valve operation, all the spring brake stuff, and the trailer stuff, since I don't think about that from test to test.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

While I agree that the more you know about the system the better off you are, many of the questions are do not have anything to do with operation safety; they are just general knowledge questions.  I find this to be the case with the regular driver's license test also.  It can be argued that those questions are irrelevant to safe use of the vehicle.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
GreyEagle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »

The test is for general knowledge and safe operation......
The maintenance and/or repair is much deeper but not required for the driver....
However I do agree that more is better....

GreyEagle
U.S.Army
E-8 MSG
RETIRED
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: