Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 06:57:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting it ready for winter  (Read 771 times)
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

Some cold days coming in CT. When we got the bus this fall, I noticed that the antifreeze was only good to 10 degrees so I drained 8 gallons out and put in 8 gallons of straight antifreeze. This brought me down to -10 degrees which should be good for this winter at least. I remembered last night that I had not run the passenger heater after adding the antifreeze and I had so far been unable to get the drivers heat working. I pulled out the manual and discovered that there is a drivers heater shutoff valve down by the floor next to the drivers seat and sure enough, it was closed. This morning, I plugged the block heater in for an hour and she started right up, I ran it up to temp and turned on both the passenger heat and the drivers heat, both worked fine so it looks like everything is circulating. I have winterized everything else I can think of, (plumbing and tanks and lines), have I forgotten anything else???  PO had a garage so did not have to deal with all this.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »

Is your fuel tank full so you don't get any condensation in it?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

Bruce,
Are your fresh, gray and black tanks empty? Yes, even the poo tank can freeze. How about your hot water heater and all the plumbed lines? Any "p" traps in your plumbing that hold water to keep gasses from entering the coach? Take some RV antifreeze and pour it down the drains (that'd be sinks and shower). Oh yeah, how about the toilet bowl, is it dry or just sitting there full of water waiting for the next customer to dump and flush? Add some RV antifreeze to the toilet water to keep it from freezing and to keep the poo odors contained in the poo tank. Keeping water in the toilet also keeps the flapper gaskets from drying out and therefor not holding water when you begin using it some months later. Check the coach on a regular basis just in case something was missed. Just saying ...

Anything that holds water in the coach should be drained or protected with some RV antifreeze. Yes, garages are good for protection as long as they remain heated, which in the northeast has been a problem so far this winter.

I remember one Christmas season the temperature in Boston did not get above -5 degrees. I went to start my truck one morning and the starter motor froze on - engine started but starter would not stop. I had to pull the battery cable and then lay on the floor of an unheated garage to change the starter solenoid. Not too much like fun!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:16:57 PM by expressbus » Logged

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

Icemaker line to the fridge is one that has caught me in the past.  Another one is an outside shower or water tap.  Is there a strainer on the incoming water line - I blew one of them up one time.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »

Once again, you guys have so much experience.....I have no chance of filling up on fuel, not registered yet.....will did catch me on one thing I did forget, the toilet! It's a RV type with a foot pedal, if I push the foot pedal to flush that should open the valve and drain it??. I will also put some antifreeze in the bowl.

Thanks again guys!!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

Bruce If it is a sealand  porcelin toilet, just below the valve that the foot pedal moves is a little knurled cap that unscrews.

You need to take it off for the valve mechanism to drain out as it will freeze and crack the white plastic valve.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

If your toilet drains out just sitting you can take a paint brush and put some mineral oil on the rubber seal and it won't dry  out. I put a little in the water before I flush after letting it sit over night also every so often just to keep it pliable.

Remember to change the air in your tires in case there is moisture in them---------Ok that was just a funnin ya, sorry Grin

Dave 5Cs

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Windscreen washers have antifreeze?

Pump tyres up to maximum sidewall pressure?

Depends on exactly what "mineral oil" is, but some seal rubbers might not take kindly to being covered with the wrong lubricant for months at a time.

Air dryer working properly?

Air tank drains operated?

Try to put it to bed with dry brake drums.

Block the exhaust pipe to keep critters out.

general critter control - repellents, baits, traps

Windscreen wipers clear of windscreen.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:22:18 PM by Tony LEE » Logged

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »

Windscreen wipers clear of windscreen.

Excellent and an often forgotten economy. A tennis ball under each wiper arm gets more life out of your 'blades than leaving them to bend over while stored.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: