Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 07:54:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the Generator Saga—AKA Cleaning the Garage and the Mysterious Saboteur  (Read 484 times)
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

Now that Christmas is over, and I squirreled away my gift money into the diesel fuel fund, I’m feeling out of sorts that the Arcadia Rally is happening and I’m not there AGAIN!!----I decided to start building my generator.  I have 3 cyl, 600cc Kubota diesel, a 7.5 KW 4-pole generator head, and my poly-v pulleys, and plenty of steel to build a sturdy frame.  -------BUT MY GARAGE IS A TOTAL MESS!!

So Friday I started cleaning the garage, and getting rid of stuff, consolidating oils, cleaners, making piles to sell on C-List, and E-place.  So by Saturday I was ready to start building, sort of.  But there was this Shelf project I started a few months ago that still wasn’t finished.   

Actually I had two very nice oak finish shelving units, 7ft tall and 32” wide that were both ruined by absorbing water up through the bottom, as a result of a leaking skylight(now replaced—with the new $7K roof).  Since only the bottom 6-7 inches, I cut 12 inches off the bottom and started building a new bottom support structure.  I bought a new 6’long, ¾” thick oak board for the bottom shelf, and a poplar board for the front and back face boards.  I already had some oak veneer from another project.  So after cutting, and screwing, shelf #1 is almost done.   But in order to drill some holes in one of the 3/4” x 3/4 “ braces, I had to remove some rust from the column of my 65 year old drill press so I could move the table up.  To use my power miter saw, I had to set up my cheap router table, but when went to set it up I discovered that two bolts were missing out of one of the stringers.  So after I found two bolts to fix the miter saw table, I was back to cutting the braces.  While I was waiting for the contact cement to dry so I could attach the veneer, I decided I could start fixing the welder that stopped working in August after I welded the first bunk frame together.  It makes a very loud buzzing noise and pulls a lot of juice(as  evidenced by the dimming lights) when on any setting other than fan only.

My welder is an older Century wire welder (gas capable), which I am told is hard to get parts for now.  I spoke with the local welder repair shop, and they said it might be the “contacts”, but since I am virtually inept with anything other than simple electric, I figured that I could fix it, since contacts sound mechanical, and I remember them from my first car, so I figured it was worth a try.  After removing all the outside panels, and testing all the switches, I moved on to removing(to test) a thing that looked like two wheels with contacts at the end of each spoke, but the diagram called it a rectifier.  When I took the first “wheel” apart, I discovered that a stinkbug was stuck under one of the spokes, which was also melted.  Before this discovery, I always ridiculed the “squirrel in the transformer” excuse the electric company gave me!

So there you have it---my bus generator build was sabotaged by a stinkbug!!!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

Steve - Stinkbugs must like electrical current.  I had ons get into the contactor on one of my outdoor heat pump units earlier this year.  Fortunately, the unit survived - the bug didn't.  Brad

Busnut wannabe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: