Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After reading this, don't ever complain!  (Read 1084 times)
Iceni John

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »

http://www.indiaoverland.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44&p=1

If you have an hour or so, read these articles about the Asia overland bus trips in the 1970s that ferried hippie-esque folk between England and India.   These articles bring back a flood of memories for me  -  I took buses and local transport (trucks, tuktuks, trains, taxis, even a camel in Kandahar for a memorably short ride) when I went from England to Nepal and back in 1977, in the halcyon days before Iran and Afghanistan became harder to get through.   I remember all of us passengers in an old Mercedes O302 between Herat and Kabul rocking the bus enough so we could jam stones under the axle to be able to change a tire, and a Pathan tribesman firing his ancient Martini-Henry rifle by mistake through the roof of the daily bus between Kabul and Peshawar as we descended the Khyber, and countless other memorable events that makes Greyhound seem so tame and boring in comparison!   The stories of the old AEC bus being driven through the mountains with no brakes at all and at night with no lights, and the constant need to replace its head gaskets, or even reweld cracked heads umpteen times, and driving in minus-35 winters with only campstoves to heat the bus  -  wow, that makes most of our woes seem like a walk in the park.   I wonder how many current buses could survive what that AEC did.

Happy (non-apocalyptic) new year,
John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »

Interesting pics of buses in some very unusual locations.  Thanks for posting John.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

Wow, amazing stories. Thanks for sharing the link.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: