Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 10:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the Green Carrot 4104 in October issue  (Read 1293 times)
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »

Flipping through the Oct 2006 issue, I noticed the "green carrot" 4104 has a 6v92t and allison 730 trans. Would'nt this bus have has a 6-71 and 4 speed orignally? If so, I am very interested in the details of this swap. Anyone know anything about it?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 04:28:38 PM »

Very expensive.  You have to increase the radiator size, change the rear end or at least the pumpkin to the 4106 type, manufacture engine and transmission mounts, create a transmission cooler, modify the rear engine door for the extra width.  Like anything else, you can do it with enough money.  Personally, I'd just get a 4106 or 4107/9.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 04:32:47 PM »

Keith,
Look in the member section and find Uncle Ned. He owns "Huggy Bear" which has a 6V92 on a transit coach cradle.

His big problem, IIRC, is cracking the inside head.
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 06:26:51 AM »

The 6v92t and allison I have availble locally is in a transit coach and on a cradle, so that is what I was thinking for a swap into my silverside. I know this swap has come with alot of dissagreement in my other post, but I have the gut feeling I can do it, and make it work nicely. I'm quite willing to swap out the rear axle.

Now the big question, why is he cracking heads?
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »

Now the big question, why is he cracking heads?

Heat

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »

I am the proud owner of the "Green Carrot" and like Tom C said all it takes is money.  While I personally did not do the change over to the 6V92 all of the things stated were done to her.  4106 differential, bulk head modification, larger radiator, engine cover, relocate and increase air cleaner.  It is a shoe horn fit and really runs great but when it is time to do the rack the mechanics hate it.  I don't know how much my engine switch cost but there are a lot of 04's out there with the 92's in them.  Someone on the board should have a close price.  I check this board every day so if I  can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.

Denny
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:10 PM »

Thanks. Your bus is absolutely beautiful.

As for my 1947 silversides, the entire rear is finned, So I'm thinking heat dissapation shouldn't be a problem as much as what you guys are running into. I could be wrong though.

On your bus, is there a cradle, or special mounts adapting to the unibody structure?

Keith
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 07:54:31 AM »

Yes, the engine is on a cradle that comes out in one piece.  You can see on page 32 that just to the left of the muffler and left of the air cleaner are two black supports that hold up the back of the cradle.  The front ties to the frame.

On the heat issue, cracked heads, with my big radiator I normally run 180 deg.  but when pulling a long hill in the summer I have to resort to my mister system.  I can keep it at 200 deg. on any hill.  I think misters are a must and they don't cost much.

Denny
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:58:20 AM by Denny » Logged
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »

I'm not familiar with a "mister system", what is it?
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 05:38:25 AM »

I'm not familiar with a "mister system", what is it?

At the top of the page is a Search box. Type in mister and then click the search button and you will get all you ever wanted to know about misters and then some. LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: