Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape Route  (Read 3073 times)
natepelton

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

Hello-
I have a 1983 Prevost and both escape hatches on the roof have been filled with air conditioners and none of the windows swing out anymore. I really don't need A/C where I live or travel to, so I'm willing to revert to roof hatches. Does anyone know where to find them? Any tips on getting the windows to open? Was also considering replacing a window or two with the RV slider style if I can find non-new. While on the roof, the PO put so many things through the roof, fridge vent, about 8 air vents, 3 A/C's, toilet ports, TV antenna, etc... I would like to remove some of the vents and A/C's. What would be the best way to patch these holes in the roof?
Thanks-
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »

Just a suggestion you might not have thought of:- my bus has 'Emergency Exit' stickers on the windows and the roof skylights, but they don't open - they're intended to be smashed by the passengers when needed. Situated at intervals along the overhead baggage racks were little hammers held in plastic clips, which in the event of an accident the passengers were supposed to grab to smash their way out.

It's worth mentioning that European buses like mine do also have full-size emergency exit doors at the rear, so I guess breaking the windows or skylights was very much intended to be a last resort - but it's obviously a viable way of getting out, so something worth bearing in mind before doing fairly major work to give yourself an escape route.

The window on my bus are double-glazed incidentally, so that isn't a reason why it would cease to be an option

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »

First thing that comes to my mind,,how long have you owned/operated this coach?? Being from north New York have you had the coach in really HOT weather where all the roof air's WILL be needed.. I would be reluctant to remove anything that I may need later at great cost. In the event of a rollover, when you MAY(or may not) need an escape hatch, I would bet on several windows allready busted out to provide the escape.>>>Dan  PS.. Another thought,, removing air conditioning capability will effect the resale value of the coach.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:36:28 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »

Nate is the roof leaking?
I have several vents through my roof. They work well enough that we don't run the A/C much while parked.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

Personally, I would go with the hammer idea.  It's pretty easy to kick out the windshield.  If the hatches were in place, I would work with them but I don't think I would go to any great pains to create new ones.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »

I think the real safety issue would be while parked and fire broke out. I left my hatch in the rear where the bedroom is. I have been thinking about some kind of ladder system to get off roof. (ROPE)

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

You don't say what your experience is with conversions. You might not want to make major changes until you have used the coach for a year or so. The ones you need to make will become apparent. Some of the things you think you don't need might prove to be "Can't do withouts".

As already mentioned, removal of the A/Cs would cause resale problems and you WILL need them at some point.

You might be able to locate some hatches from someone that has removed them in the conversion. That could prove difficult because there probably aren't many 83 Prevosts around that haven't already been converted. Someone on the Board familiar with MCI parts sources will chime in.

I have a lot of experience driving buses. I always thought the hatches were probably not much good as escape hatches. The only time I could imagine being able to use them would be in a rollover. They would probably be tweaked so much they wouldn't function then. Probably what NTSB would accept. In my experience they were better just used for ventilation.

Used RV sliders are available in a lot of places. They probably wouldn't slide either after an accident. They would be easier to just kick out though.

The toilet vents are a must!

The holes are on the roof, just remove the ones you want, use a good sealer and adhesive and cover them with pieces of aluminum. I'd put a few rivets in also.

Hope this helps.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

I have a 1989 Prevost and like yours, they have windows that curve at the top. Finding sliders will be hard. Prevost makes them for motor home conversions that have a slider or awning window at the bottom but they are very expensive. I left three of mine to open on the passenger side. I also left both roof escape hatches for ventilation and escape if needed. Roof airs are separate openings. I am making hinged screens for the roof hatches so I can use then at night or day time to vent. I tried to buy some used Prevost opening windows from a motor home parts dealer but he was retail in his pricing so no big deal provided. Plus they needed to be shipped or picked up so it again was not a bargain. You will need to use your best judgement on what you can live with or make changes to suite your needs. Good Luck.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that converters block off escape hatches and doors. My 4104 has the rear escape door intact, one of the reasons I bought it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »

Glad to hear you still have bus : Might ck to see if it is just covered up by trim or screwed shut. I have the original releases you can cover with vinyl if the top hinges are still there. You can tell the escape windows because they overlap on both sides the windows next to them.    INSIDE They are held in place by about a 30 inch wide by 3 1/2 inch tall and 2 inches thick-- pull on bottom .  Basic pull bottom of it and it releases two latches and window hinges out from top. FWIW  I also have one of the Prevost bottom (1/3) windows  I'm not going to use.   Bob
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:09:31 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »

I have the Transspec escape hatches in my bus.  These are also used in many school buses today.  They are all plastic with metal hinges.  I can't see them getting jammed in a collision due to the design.

The escape hatches being in the ceiling would be very hard to use to leave the bus if a fire occurred with the bus upright.  I keep thinking about adding an escape hatch of some sort in the rear cap, but I have never moved forward with it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
opus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »

Grant it, mine is a skoolie, it must have 7 or 8 escapes out of the bus.  I left everyone of them operable.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »

Yep...I can't believe either that the PO actually wanted to burn to death.  Wow!  Yep again, my old Crown Supercoach ex-schoolie had about 37 escape routes including the rear window.  Also, FWIW, are you considering seat belts for designated seating while underway?  Let's keep it safe out there.  Will we some day be required to have ejection seats?  Air bags maybe? Dunno fur sures. HB of CJ (old coot)
siberyd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

Having experienced several mock and actual fires in a variety of buses (school, transit, charter), the roof escape hatch vents the smoke and draws the flame to the new airflow.

Roof hatches only help when bus is on its side.

I would modify some windows or by some lil hammers instead.

Siberyd

P.S. I also have a 4104 and the rear emergency exit is intact for emergencies.

1964 White/Carpenter 35' RE 3208 Husky Camp
1957 PD 4104-2240 Converted Siberyd

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/26R13/
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

Are either of your 4104 buses for sale?

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: