Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 04:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spare tire  (Read 2171 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

We don't carry a spare, but I do have the means to change tires and will put a tag where needed, Will Cheesy

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »

Scott, you may be right that you do not know how much space is lost if you never remove the tire.  Unfortunately, there were several times when I needed to do some work from the spare tire compartment.  First, I learned that it is a real nuisance to take out and put back in numerous times, so we left it out.  The tire is in lousy condition anyway, so there really was no reason to put it back until I replaced it.  In the meantime, I began to use the space, which is so convenient.  The way it works is this way-- if you carry a spare for years on end without using it, you have wasted space (and maybe fuel) all that time.  If you don't carry one and get a blow out, it would have been nice to have a spare.  Either way, you could end up being a sucker.  Best thing is not to carry one until just before you get a flat.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »

We haven't thrashed this one out for a while.  I carry two spares.  They are mounted directly behind the drivers.  Others often refer to them as the tags.  The only mission critical blowout you can have is a front tire.  In that event I will move a tag forward (or hire somebody to move it).  Otherwise I'll be limping into the nearest tire shop.  We have 24.5 rubber which used to be common on trucks but I think 22.5 is more common now.  If I have a blowout on the road its going to be a bad day anyway - I don't think it would be measureably improved by dragging a flat spare out from under the driver's compartment. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »

Interesting thread here, though we have been down this road before.

1. The buses that have the spare mounted behind the front bumper have it there as part of the protection in case of a front-end accident.

2. Here in Mexico (and I dare say even in places in the U. S. and Canada), there thousands of miles of highway with ZERO cell phone service, and therefore, no way to call anybody to come change your tire. And here in Mexico, road service simply does not exist. Get a flat and have no spare, and you are skunked!

3. Here in Mexico, NOT having a spare, jack and the lug nut tools gets you a ticket.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »

I forgot to mention - in spite of the fact that I said I'd call road service I carry 2 x 20 ton jacks & blocks, a 3/4 x 3 foot swing handle and 3 foot snipe, a 3/4 air impact and all the sockets & extensions.  (but I'm still gonna call road service even if only to get a young whipper snapper to help me use my stuff)

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: