Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 06:41:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooked Battery  (Read 927 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »

The Odyssey PC680 start battery for my generator got cooked by the little magneto on the Kubota D950 engine!  We were about half way home from the Arcadia rally and pulled into a Wal-Mart. When I went to start the genset, nothing. So, I was able to jump start the genset from my 12 volt center tap on my 24V house bank. It was a pita, but we got home.

Once I got home, I pulled the gen. start batt out and it was swollen almost to bursting. The battery shop declared it cooked or overcharged. So, I got a new one, connected it up and started the genset. When I tested voltage at the battery, it was almost 17 volts! I shut the genset down and that is where it stands.

Does anyone know how to adjust the little magneto to lower the voltage? I don't want to cook another $80 battery.

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »

Is it being charged from a belt driven alternator. OR from the generator wiring / control box ??
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:41:03 AM »

The simplest and probably cheapest way would be to eliminate the engine charging and just use a small battery charger run off the generator.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:00:41 AM »

Take the alternator off and have a shop repair it!  A new one on ebay is less than 100 dollars!  The proper approach.  John L
Low Class

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »

I am sorry I can't help you with your problem.
Where did you buy a PC680 for $80?
I need one for the motorsickle.
thanks

Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »

It's a D 950 3 cyl. diesel. The battery is being charged (overcharged!) by a belt-driven magneto, not an alternator (I think they are different animals, but I could be wrong).

I had this genset apart this fall, but I don't recall seeing any regulator or adjustment. I'l go take another look.

junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

The regulator is internal on Mine.  There are some models that use a waste regulator which is pretty crude and just holds down voltage to a fixed value!  How about a picture?  Worth a thousand words!  John L
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

I don't think your magneto is charging the battery, never heard of one doing that?

It is probably a cheapo thing integrated into the flywheel. You could probably use a resistor to cut down the voltage to 13.5 or so, they seldom produce more than 0.5 to 1.0 amp.

My old Onan had one of these.

If you do use the bus batt to start the gen be sure to disconnect it after it starts or it will drive your bus VR crazy - been there!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: