Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 05:32:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chazwood, et all...Disk brakes?  (Read 2086 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »

My 98 Prevost has front and tag knor-bremske( who owns bendix) Disc brakes. $217 from Prevost for 2 wheels(pads).  FWIW  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »

With all the cost and maintenance issues still with disc brakes, unless a customer wants them, we order all of our trucks with drum brakes. If you have the correct linings, and such, drum brakes will give you many years of faithful service. Except for greasing the pins and slack adjusters, adjusting my brakes once a year, I haven't done anything to my brakes-and they will put you through the windshield (my wife won't want you to know how I know that).  Good Luck, TomC

I thought most trucks and buses are disk brakes these days?  Both MCI and Prevost sell all new coaches with disk brakes.  It appears there are good reasons why us busnuts would probably not want disk brakes unless we take our buses on the road frequently and don't let them sit for long periods.

Are you talking about greasing the clevis pins on drum brakes?  I had to replace a clevis pin recently as it was corroded.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

Yes, I expect he was referring to greasing the clevis pins.

As part of the annual wheels off, remove the pin, clean it up, grease/anti-seize and re-assemble with a fresh cotter pin.

One of the things that can contribute to a dragging brake, if the clevis is seized/on the verge, and it turns and sticks when applied and then won't allow the assembly to return to released.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: