Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought an 8v92/740 combo out of an MCI. in Florida How do I get it here to MN?  (Read 3399 times)
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »

Rick,
Just be sure to specify a medium duty truck! Preferably with dual winches to use one on each end to make it easier to keep it level while putting it on your rollers.
(trust me I have a century dual winch bed on a 1 ton GMC and a 6V92 & 740 makes the front wheels "float" so you'll definitely want a "medium duty" truck to do the job.
Grin  BK  Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

8V-92TA=2,450lbs. HT747=900lbs-total=3,350lbs. Any vehicle capable of loading 4,000lbs will work-including many 3/4 or 1 ton pickups. Have to load it far enough forward in the bed not to raise the front wheels off the ground-load engine forward. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »

Rick we had no problem hauling my 6-92 from Kansas along with an 8-71 we stopped in Denver to pick up for Clifford with our 1500 Silverado and trailer. Just sayin'

good luck
  Van

Was well worth the trip!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:45:00 AM by Van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »

Rick, I sure hope this engine works out better than the last one. I thought this time you would just get the rebuilt 8V92TA out of an MCI that Curt, at Central Truck, has sitting in his shop. But maybe that engine was too expensive. Do you plan to do the changeover yourself? I am feeling so good now that I could help with the project, if you want help. Here's hoping things go well for you.

Good luck, Sam
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:33:39 PM by Sam 4106 » Logged

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »

Sam, Curt wants $8500 for the motor, which doesn't address my transmission issues, I would need air filter, exhaust and intake tubing and probably a muffler as well. The guy I bought this from is throwing in all of those things. Got a better understanding of what happened to the motor. He was driving down the road and lost power, pulled over, went in back and looked for obvious signs of an issue and noticed coolant coming out of the slobber tubes. He checked the oil and found what he believed to be fuel had leaked into the block to the tune of 4 or inches on the dipstick. I told him today that it was coolant and the reason it was coming out of the slobber tubes is because the engine was full to overflowing with 5 extra gallons of liquid in it. I have no idea how much he hurt the motor but he told me he never tried to start it again and that it didn't let him run for long with the coolant in the oil. Worse case scenario is still spun main bearings. I will get it home and take a nice long slow look at a long term plan to get it running correctly. I'm thinking the original problem was an o ring issue as he said it never overheated. I'm thinking it would be best to drain the oil as well. The good news is he just put a ton of money into the transmission so there is a plus. So I have an 8v92 with alternator, power steering pump, air compressor and ALL the stuff to hook it up and a rebuilt 740 for $1125. Now if I can get it home reasonably maybe I can get this one to work eventually. Okay guys have at it with advice and idea's but keep the "you're really a dork for buying this" stuff to a dull roar.  I do have an ignore button now after all  Grin Grin

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »

Rick,

That is crazy. There is NO WAY you can make that engine work. It will be a nightmare.

ROFL Grin Cheesy Grin Sorry. I HAD to say that.

Joking aside, sounds like you have a great solution there. That will give you plenty of time to work it over, and make it as bullet proof as you can. I think you will be really happy with the extra power. It will also be good to have the time you need to get it set up right. Go for it!

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »

Gumpy is gonna read the first part of your post and stand up in his kitchen and say "EXACTLY"!!! Then he's gonna read the rest of it.

That was funny John. No two ways around it.

Maybe I should call Gumpy and see if he's up for a road trip to Florida. I'm thinking he might become super busy with home projects real quick like.

RB

Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »

Rick,

I know you are looking at renting a truck, but if you decide to drive down you are welcome to borrow my trailer.  I have a couple year old tandem axle 10000 lb trailer you are welcome to borrow.  Both axles have electric brakes on them also.  I hauled home a 7000+lb tractor from upper Wisconsin a few months ago without any problems.  Let me know if you would like to borrow it.

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

Leave it to my buddy Brian Diehl to be the grace filled guy I know him to be and offer to help me. Thanks Brian I may take you up on it. Half because I may need to and half because I miss you and the family a lot! I'll let you know and say hi to everyone from the Barron's.

I have to admit I'm kind of excited to have a long term project to distract me from time to time and to give me a little more get up and go.

I just hope when when I pull the pan I'm not looking at a spun bearing anywhere. That would be a game ender I'm afraid.

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:09 PM »

Rick -

Just did a little number crunching for you.  This is based on you having a pickup suitable for pulling Brian's trailer.  Numbers have been rounded off for simplicity of planning purposes.

Round Trip from St Paul to Port Charlotte, via Brian's is approximately 3600 mi.

If the pickup/trailer gets 10 mpg, that's about 360 gallons of fuel, @ roughly $4 per gallon equals $1,440 for the trip.  Obviously, if the fuel mileage is better, the cost is less.

Three days down, three days back equals seven motel stays, roughly $550 @ $75/nite average, and figuring 500 mi/day.  (10 hrs driving/day @ 50 mph average - same as Greyhound, btw!)

So, ballpark $2,000 for you to bring the motor home yourself, not counting food enroute.

Or, you could tow Brian's trailer behind your coach, and eliminate the motel stops, but your fuel cost would go up for an overall cost of $2,400.

Does that help muddy up the decision a little more?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

RJ, using your math I think I may have it put on a pallet and shipped up. But I was looking forward to seeing some friends in Nashville and playing golf with a buddy in Orlando. Still haven't made up my mind. Sure would be nice to getaway seeing that I've been working on a record I'm producing for the last 6 months and the warmth wouldn't be such a bad thing come to think of it. Well we'll see soon enough.

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:37 PM »

RJ,
I think your mileage estimate might be low. My '95 F350 4 dr Dually with a 460 4 spd auto gets 12 MPG EMPTY, LOADED, 75-80 MPH or 60 MPH with cruise on.
And I really feel like "MOST" 1/2-3/4 ton pickups today get lots better than that.

We all know a guy up in YUPPER country that has an iggle who rode with me up to Eastern KY to pick up a wrecked F250 extended cab w/utility bed and haul it home to Union City. 1st stop we made 1/2 way up there I topped of the fuel and he told me "ya know you'd get better mileage if you'd set your cruise about 5 under the speed limit."
So for the next 150 miles I did (@ 65 mph, just to prove him wrong) and after we loaded the trailer, I pulled into a station before we ever hit the interstate and topped off again.
Still 12 mpg. So on the way home even with that heavy load I set the cruise @ 75 and let 'er rip 1/2 way home we stopped and filled up again. Yup 12 mpg heavily loaded and roll'n on!

But again my truck in my opinion gets bad mileage. (several I have borrowed got 20-25)
Grin  BK  Grin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 12:54:37 AM »

RJ, I think your mileage estimate might be low.

Bryce -

It was low on purpose.

I suspect you do the same thing when you're figuring fuel stops for your charters.  Better to err on the side of caution than be caught having to reprime alongside the road with a load of passengers on board, eh?

Same philosophy behind my number crunching.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »

I've heard about nightmares with U Ship in the distant past, but maybe things are better now with the feedback system.  Shippers would at times hold shipments hostage for more money.  I have also heard of shipments where the shipper simply left the shipment in some random city and never completed the job.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »

RJ,

Great numbers. I agree with them. Fuel, with your numbers, could include food too. Either way is pretty accurate.

Rick, go for it! Drive down. Take a bit of a vacation. Just you, or take some of the family. Go and enjoy yourself. It will cost more, but who cares? It isn't my money Grin. Really though, you should just go for it. Drive down, and enjoy yourself. That sounds like the kind of trip I would have a lot of fun doing.

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: