Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 02:29:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought an 8v92/740 combo out of an MCI. in Florida How do I get it here to MN?  (Read 3694 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »

Rick,
The trailer will tow real nice behind your bus.  In fact, you will hardly even notice it is back there.  Could be a fun trip/vacation.

Just sayin' ...
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:02 AM »

Quote from: John316
RJ,
Rick, go for it! Drive down. Take a bit of a vacation. Just you, or take some of the family. Go and enjoy yourself. It will cost more, but who cares? It isn't my money Grin. Really though, you should just go for it. Drive down, and enjoy yourself. That sounds like the kind of trip I would have a lot of fun doing.
Cheers,
John

Rick,
The trailer will tow real nice behind your bus.  In fact, you will hardly even notice it is back there.  Could be a fun trip/vacation.
Just sayin' ...

Rick they both have a great idea, an if you include the family on the trip, the wifey might be more receptive to the new engine deal.
Just say'n.....
Grin  BK  Grin
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »

An update... After speaking with the owner of the motor in Florida yesterday and finding out that the motor is still in the bus and it will be "extra" money to have it pulled I think I have a fair reason to consider not buying this because he was less than honest in his description of the item. Here's my thinking and I'm open to thoughts.
He agreed to throw in all the intake and exhaust tubing, air filter and housing and all the aux drive stuff, compressor,power steering pump and alternator, he had the transmission rebuilt for $7k 5000 miles ago, (I'm not sure if I can verify that) so those are the up sides. The down sides are, because he didn't state in the auction that buyer would be responsible for removing the engine or would have to pay a modest fee to have it removed I lost a little trust in the process. So now I'm questioning everything. if, and I stress the word, if, he was correct about the coolant coming out of the slobber tubes I'm thinking that basically every bearing in the thing would have to be replaced. That's cam bearings, blower bearings, everything... that would be very, very expensive. Well, my thinking is, if it was in Chicago and I could drive 400 or 500 miles, pick it up and take a year rebuilding it would still be cool, but when you drive, ship or fly down and drive back 3000 miles roundtrip at a cost at least $1500 and more likely $2500 it starts to get you thinking. Couple that with the real possibility that this block has spun one or more bearings effectively making it a boat anchor and I start saying, I have an out, the seller wasn't completely honest in his description, and with that in mind maybe I continue looking for a good turnkey type deal like this appeared to be from the surface. I could really use some input from my trusted bus nut friends. I can't have repeat of a couple years back where I take a bath on a motor, wifey would never let me forget it. Regarding the comments about turning this into a family vacation I think my wife frowns on bus related vacations. She's more of a Yellowstone girl than a quartzite girl. Grin Grin Which is a total character flaw in my book!

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »

A spun bearing is not a deal killer new main caps and a 500 buck line bore cheaper than 500 if not a mobile service fwiw

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »

Alright Clifford, my old friend I was hoping you'd chime in here, so, say it's your motor, what bearings are you changing if it was indeed coolant out of the slobber tubes? If it was rebuilt 7000 miles ago which is what the guy he bought it from told my seller are you doing liners, piston's etc because of the possibility of coolant contaminating rod bearings etc. Also, if this hydro'd are the rods bent.

We, as a group, never seem to tire of asking you questions do we? If you charged for advice we'd all be broke and you and Don would be very. very rich men LOL!

I thought line boring an 8v92 was like $4000 that is indeed a big difference

Still thinkin'...

RB

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:37 AM »

Rick,

Honestly, just so you know up front, I am clueless about the engine. I would love to rebuild one sometime just to learn, but I have zero knowledge on that.

If it was me in your shoes, I would want to make it work, just because I always love an excuse to go somewhere. Then, the practical side of me would kick in. This guy was less then straight with you about one thing. The nagging question is, what else? What if it wasn't rebuilt recently? What if the tranny didn't have the work done to it? What if you end up getting nothing but a 8v-92 block? Would it still be worth it to you?

I know these questions are probably already plaguing you, but I had to say them again. Sorry, but I do TRY (sometimes it works too Grin) to have a realistic/ worst case side of me.

Cheers,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »

Rick, if you by and it needs a crank I have a couple of std cranks 1 for the shipping

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

what's going on? The picture that I saw, showed the engine and transmission out of the vehicle on a stand on the floor. If it is still in the bus, move on...there will be more show up without so many issues down the road. Those pics didn't look like any rebuilding was done any time recently.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »

rick i am in central florida. was the engine from a charter co? i think jp charters. if it was let me know. thanks jim i have the 8v that has the fuel in the oil

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

Now I have changed bearings , rods &  mains in a dozer that drank a 50/50 mix and spit the dip sitck out. The crank was good, it was still running. Yes the bearings pealed babbit.
      BUT, If a 8-92 sucks water mix, is it head gasket?Huh cracked head should not leak that quick??
      Did former owner check oil level, water, etc before running ,   (I check oil, water, belts an leaks) before each start.
      To me,  Its to far to put a socket on the crank to try to turn it ,or pull the air box covers, for a look.
       Lots of Huh's
       If only fuel in oil much different, to esier fix. 
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »

I am looking at a 8v71 in a MCI with fuel in the oil Geoff is working on not pretty 2 well done rods don't buy into fuel won't is not all that bad in oil

good luck

jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »

Rick,
Any update on your purchase? I was watching that one also and was tempted to bid.
Jason

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »

I passed on it

jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the update.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »

I passed on it

Well, I came to this party late. I didn't know any of this discussion was going on but I did notice my name was mentioned in unfavorable terms  Roll Eyes . What's up with that?

Rick already knows my feelings about changing his motor, but he's going to do it eventually, anyway. However, based on what I read here and my personal inexperience
and lack of education, it is my unqualified opinion that you did the right thing by passing on it.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: