Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:04:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a 4106 that's being scrapped....  (Read 829 times)
OneLapper

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

I'm looking for a 4106 that's being scrapped in the Tri State or New England area.

Does anyone have any leads?? 

Thanks guys!

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »

Curious, what kind of a project are you contemplating with a "to-be-scrapped" 4106, Mark?

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

Curious, what kind of a project are you contemplating with a "to-be-scrapped" 4106, Mark?

Wink

Hahahaa!  Nothing devious, I promise!  I'm looking for a couple things... the first would be the fluted window trim for the museum that is in the process of restoring 4106-1616.  I know it's a long shot, but you never know.  The other thing I'm looking for, which is even a longer shot, is a rear window that isn't cracked.  Mine is cracked and is a never end source of water leaks, and I'm fighting the rust on the rear window frame.  I love the classic look of the 4106s (and 4104s, 4501, 4107s etc etc) so a rear cap isn't an option.  I've come across two 06s with good windows, 1616 being one of them.  If that didn't go to the museum I would have bought it and swapped windows!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:48:47 AM by OneLapper » Logged

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

Mark -

TOTALLY agree on the classic look of the stock 4106!

I donated my 4106 to the Pacific Bus Museum awhile back for their '06 restoration project because mine had a perfectly intact rear window and they needed one.  Win - Win for both of us.  (My coach had some serious, I mean SERIOUS cracks where the upper rear radius rods attach to the chassis, which was the reason for the donation.)

As for the rear glass, a fellow busnut here in CA with an '04 solved a similar problem by taking the OEM glass out, then, using it as a mold, had dark Lexan replacements made by a local plastics shop.  Same material as the side windows on an RTS.  Because Lexan is tough as nails but scratches easily, he had it coated with something to reduce the outside scratching while being washed.  Wish I could tell you more, but he has since passed away, and the last I heard his daughter's family took the coach home to TX somewhere.

With the glass out, it should be easy for any good bodyshop journeyman to solve the rust issues for you.  Call in a favor, maybe??

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »

RJ,

A non broken rear window is really rare!  The shame of it for my bus is that someone took a shot at with a pellet gun before I owned it.  The bus got shot a few times actually.  The PO gave me spare side windows which he intended on installing. 

Maybe someone here will have a lead on a dead/dying 4106 that has the siding and as a bonus it'll have a perfect rear window!   

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

I have been looking for the same parts. I found a bus, but the owner wanted $2500, all or nothing and I had to move it. I didn't have the time to scrap one, so I let it go.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: