Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 02:12:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with a 8v92 dd2  (Read 2834 times)
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:38 AM »

Jim, if you would list your email address in your profile it would be easier for people to contact you. I don't know how to send a PM through this site otherwise.

Thanks, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »

IF you have fuel in the oil you should be able to smell the fuel.  You can try dropping a few drops of oil on a paper towel and see what happens.  Diesel is thinner than motor oil so it will leave a ring around the oil spot as it wicks away from the thicker oil.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

Jim,

Just went through a similar problem this summer. I was not "gaining" oil but was loosing water level in the surge tank. Pulled an oil test and it identified minerals in the oil that only come from antifreeze. The heat of the engine evaporates the water but leaves antifreeze minerals in the oil.

Now there are a couple possible sources for the "leak". One is from the water pump, too simple. The second is from any one or more of the seals between the cylinder sleeves and the cast block, oh yeah that would be logical since the cost of repair is way higher!

So to start with we pulled the oil pan and then pressurized the cooling system. Found one cylinder on the curbside bank was leaking a small amount of water down the cylinder sleeve. That got us into taking off the head to replace the cylinder kit. With the head off we found some vertical scoring on a couple of the liners. Vertical scoring is not good either for ring life. The cross hatch pattern from honing the sleeves was still very visible.

Anyway, we wound up doing an in chassis engine rebuild. Now just to clarify the "we" I'm referring to is not me but the heavy highway shop I have do my maintenance. Getting parts for these old 2 cycles is becoming a big problem when doing a rebuild. I was without the coach for months.

I hope your problem is not the same as mine but it might be part of your problem.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »

thanks for all your help. pulled the valve covers about a hour ago. on the drivers side there is a rocker arm not sure if this is what you call it that is broken into. it sets on top of the injector. looking from the back it is the second injector. a friend has some spares. it looks like cast iron and is broken into. the injector looks to be in the open postion. so pretty sure is fuel in the oil. will update in a couple days. thanks again jim my email is busnut1@hotmail.com

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »

Jim,

Change the oil before driving. The fuel will reduce the viscosity of the oil which is not a good thing. I'd also pull an oil sample from the old oil for testing just to make sure there is nothing else of concern. It will also give you a base line for comparison against future oil sample tests.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

replaced 2 rockers and 1 injector. new oil and filters. purring like kitten. thanks to everyone jim

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »

Jim, which 2 rocker arms did you break you do know the injector rocker arm is different from the other 2 ? it has a yellow stripe and a stress relief cut just thought you know in case you didn't

good luck   

Life is short drink the good wine first
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

Jim, Will, and any body else if you are having probelms getting engine parts either Clifford or my self have several outlets for them. Let us know what you want and where you are, we will have them or can recommend someplace to get them.

Will at one time this past summer parts were hard to come by but the problem has been somewhat solved. One fo the probelms is Detroit has been running all over the country buying all the core engines they can find for the reman facility and all the support parts to go with them.

Don

expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

Don,

I'm good to go for now. Its a long story but in 25 or less - I had an in chassis rebuild done. I logged a grand total of 245 miles before it threw a rod through the block. Yep, distracted tech did not hit all the bolts one last time, and missed at least one or more, before buttoning up the bottom end. I was WB (Without Bus) from 4th June to 4th December. Now having experienced a catastrophic engine failure I'm now a little anxious while operating. The replacement engine is a reman from Jasper Engines in Indiana.

I've built numerous gasoline engines and never had one fail. I maybe should have tried doing a diesel this time.

I also can now relate to words I've heard over the in car radio during a NASCAR race, "I have a vibration ... " Oh well I can scratch that experience from my bucket list, not that I REALLY wanted to have the experience.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

clifford. thanks and we did know about the injectors. what would be the cause of this?looking at the motor the second injector on both sides where broke. looks like the right side broke first by the wear on it. thanks jim

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: