Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:33:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Weather Maintenance  (Read 1301 times)
opus

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »

A weekend of this:

And temps between -6 and -15 will sure let you know what your maintenance program is right. No time to be sloppy or cheap. A breakdown in this weather could be fatal.

50/50 fuel, Power Service and a properly maintained air system will keep you going. Webasto ran for about 20 hrs this trip, slept nice and warm the whole trip.

Preventative maintenance sure pays for itself!

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »

Now that there looks like a fine day for a winter drive!

I agree, extremes of cold and heat are great for showing you that your coach is up to snuff.

Best vehicle on the road in winter conditions is a coach.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »

Very nice indeed!  So I'm ever-curious about the Webasto - do you have one or more of their heater units (name?) in the bays to keep the plumbing above freezing, or?  And where is your main Webasto ?  Thanks for any information.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »

We don't have any overt heat in the bays Phil.  The Proheat is in the third bay in the centre.  Water tanks in the fourth bay.  There's enough waste heat off the Proheat that I never worry about the water system - most of the plumbing is in the bay with the Proheat anyway.  The only freezing problem we have is with our manifolds which are (stupidly) located in the fourth bay just inside the door on the road side.  That's always the first place to freeze - usually at around -15C.  I can keep it thawed with either a 100 watt bulb or a cube heater depending on temperatures and winds down to about -25C

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
opus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »

We dont have plumbing perse.  Be pretty tough in this country to have it without running into freezing issues. 

The unit is in the engine compartment.  All I could find is this video when I first got the bus.  The unit must have a tailpipe...which it does now. Things you learn the hard way.

http://youtu.be/d0neeonmTtI

Here are 3 of the heaters we have.  I think there are 3 others:

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

Perfect. Thanks gentlemen. I'm learning.   Grin

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »

We've been fulltiming this winter in Ohio. In Indiana at the moment...heading to Michigan this week. Have already experienced single digits several nights in a row. That being said, we've kept our bays warm with cube heaters. One in each of two plumbing bays. They keep the floor warm too  Cool  We run two space heaters in the living compartment too. One in the living room, and one in the bedroom. Keeps us toasty.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »

I've got to hand it to you guys.  Maintaining a bus in moderator weather is more than enough for me.  Adding seriously freezing temps to the mix may be more than my delicate mental balance could handle.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »

-33 New Years Eve in Buchanan Lin.

We drained the bus and winterized it in the fall so we were just winter camping in it but we were very comfortable.  You need to plan ahead a bit though.  For example, doors can freeze shut when you warm the bus up and then freeze it up again.  Prevent that by spraying the gaskets with Pam before you let it freeze up.  You need winter fuel in the tank for the diesel furnace to even light.  I didn't have that but I got lucky by pouring some Melt in the tank before I tried lighting the furnace.  It took several resets before it got going - mine tries to start 3 times and then pukes out until you reset it.  And a heated mattress pad is a huge help, both for warming the bed up initially and for making night time much more pleasant.  I wouldn't advise doing this regularly but for one time winter adventure it was actually a lot of fun.

Iron man curling, all you can eat wings on New Years Eve, Ukrainian ladies put on a pancake breakfast - what's not to like about that?

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

I have a setup using the Aqua Hot heater system, it uses 6 radiator units through out the coach, and with 5 thermostats, keeps every thing happyincluding the ISM engine.
Of course the engine also helps heat the rest of the heaters too, nice setup also incudes the domestic hot water for bath/shaving kitchen sink etc.
Rules are, do not let it freeze up, gets very costly real quick,of course antifreeze in all but the domestic/drinking water syste, that is where you keep the eyes open, not difficut, just pay attention.
Far cry from the old setup with the LP furnaces etc. Easy to get spoiled.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »

Best way to winterize is not to be in freezing weather in the first place. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: