Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 03:21:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oynx Collection ? Pros & Cons  (Read 547 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:11 PM »

Trying to think of all the options for my shower. I have researched several ideas and just came upon this system that seems like it might work. Anyone have any experience (in the bus) with installing these custom built systems?  They have no suppliers in CA! Looks like the installation is easy and technical support.

http://www.onyxcollection.com/

I was planning on a hardibacker-type base, that lays over a waterproof Kerdi fabric to lessen the chance of leaks. Please chime in and help me make a decision finally.

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:46:38 PM »

I had my custom shower pan made by Onyxcollection. I provided the drawing of what I needed, and they sent back their drawing and price. The shower pan is of the highest quality (compared to some of the RV junk) and custom color. It came out perfectly, and although I haven't used it yet, anticipate many years of no problem use out of it. The pan was $850.00. Since I weigh 310lbs, I needed a strong pan, and I got it. Highly recommend Onyxcollection.
I only used their pan. Did not order the wall surrounds as that would have gotten into the thousands of dollars. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »

I looked into this locally at a place that customs builds. Very heavy and costly. As soon as I show them what I wanted it became custom and the price sky rocketed. I went with a 36x36 acrylic shower surround with a door. One piece and no chance of leaks, plain and simple. I don't have a raised roof so mine is only 72" high, but no problem for us. www.lascoshowers.org

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:12 AM »

Grant, have you looked at MAAX showers? They have many shapes and sizes to choose from. Not cheap, but very good quality acrylic coated fiberglass with glass doors and enclosure. Our project was a remodel last winter, so I chose a neo-round 36" unit which came with base, 2 wall panels, and glass enclosure with 2 sliding doors for about $ 1400 from a local plumbing supply company. With the sliding doors you don't need room for a door to swing and no water drips onto the floor when you open the doors after a shower. Since our bus roof was raised 13" I had plenty of height to work with so no modification was required for the shower unit. If your roof is not raised the complete unit may not work. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link but if you Google MAAX the site will come up. I will ask my wife to post a picture of our installed unit later today.

Good luck, Sam
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:06:32 AM by Sam 4106 » Logged

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »

I made by own shower base for the bus out of fibreglass, designed in such a way that it's recessed into the floor in order to maximise the height. A day's work and maybe $30 worth of fibreglass and plywood. The shower walls are tile on two sides and an off-the-shelf 'quadrant'-type glass enclosure on the other two sides.

The fibreglass base was constructed simply and left with a rough finish (ie., no moulds or gelcoat used) because it's topped with a tile surface. I was worried at first about being able to stick the tile to the fibreglass but I spoke to the local tile shop and they said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I used a special additive with the adhesive which makes it suitable for use on non-porous surfaces.

And now I've done it all again with the house shower - I've made a large walk-in shower (almost a small wet room) in the house bathroom by making a fibreglass base topped with tile in the same way. And the curved glass screen which divides the shower from the rest of the room is - wait for it - one of the redundant bus windows. Stood vertically they are 6 feet tall and perfect for the job.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: