Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 10:20:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a 1973 MC 7 8v71  (Read 1301 times)
rkillmon

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

I'm thinking of buying a MC 7 1973 with a 8v71 engine at a great price.
Is there any items to worry about on this bus.
This is my first bus.
The engine and auto trans were rebuilt 5,000 miles ago.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

Rkillmon

We have a 73 MCI MC-7 combo freighter which is a MC-7 with dual tires on the tag axle for more weight. It has a 8v92 400 HP and engine was new in 2000 and only has 30k on it. It is also our first bus and we have not even been out in it yet, first trip will be in the spring, we are going to the Blytheville AR vintage bus meet in April, you should check it out. Since I'm a newbie as well, I can't help you much except to say its a beautiful bus.....of course you know any 40 year old bus will be a project, I'm doing a bunch of things to ours and it is in beautiful shape being garaged by the PO.

Be sure to add some info on where you are and some details on your bus to your signature line. Best of luck to you, hope to meet you!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

I have a 1972 MCI7 with 8V-71 and recently converted to automatic, bought as a seated coach. Now almost finished conversion ( 6 years off and on).

My recommendations

1) Have someone knowledgeable check over the bus first. Look for signs of rust. There was some stainless used on the                                             MCI 7s, but there is still lots of regular steel that may have rotted away over the years.

2) Unless you have the documentation in hand to prove the engine/transmission are rebuilt, expect that they are not rebuilt. I think every coach sold has had the powertrain rebuilt recently  Roll Eyes (  now where did I put those invoices??)

3) Tires are ex$pen$ive. Check the date codes on them. Look for cracks.

4) If its a standard, be prepared to learn how to drive it. It doesn't shift like a Chevy 1/2 ton. There are some good articles on 'how-to' on this board...use the search function.

5) Is this already converted? or still a bus? The market is in the tank. You may be able to go up a bunch of years by purchasing a coach already converted.

I really enjoy our bus, and with the automatic it's even a pleasure to drive. Keep the other half happy and involved, and don't wait til it's done to use it....go for a weekend( or even overnight ) as soon as you have the basic systems in place, and frequently after that.

And please, please ask on the board about anything you are unsure of. There's almost nothing that you will do or try that hasn't been done or tried already, and most of us are willing to share our experiences with whomever asks.

Best regards.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »

Challenge the previous owner about overheating.

The MC7 radiators are the smallest, having been intended to only cool the engine, the invention of heavy duty highway automatics happened right at the end of the MC7 run, and are notorious for contributing to overheating in stock trim.

Many an old timer declares that the MC7 was the best over the road coach they ever drove.
Nothing held the road like a '7.

Poke around and remember to LOOK UP inside all doors and access points to assess the condition of the floor/wall interface.

The vista windows, or the material inserted in their place, up in the roof hump, present lots of chances for leaks.
How have they, or the space been sealed against the weather?

Find a busnut and a mechanic to help evaluate.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »

Hi;
    I also have a MC-7 and enjoy it.  Can you tell us what part of the
    country the bus is in that you are looking at?
    Maybe some one can help with looking it over with you.
                              Good luck,  Merle
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »

MCI used mild steel for the frame work on the front and back end of the 7.  If it's going to rust, thats where it will most likely be.  The rest of the bus seems pretty rust proof.  John M.  MC 7

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:08 AM »

Yes commercial buses are reliable and made to run hundreds of thousands of miles. But-when the break, or something wears out, that part in general will cost about 10 times what it does on a car. Please make sure you can support your vehicle to keep it in top running shape and still afford to use it. Have seen too many bus conversions not drivable because the owners didn't think there would be any maintenance costs, and now they can't afford it. Buses make for very expensive stationary mobile homes. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: