Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: coolant leak question  (Read 635 times)
5B Steve

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Hello everyone, hope all is well.  My question is , on my 1975 MCI -5B there is a coolant leak in the line on the floor going up to the defroster on the drivers side

behind the paneling. I noticed most for the area is in front of the wheel well. When I started the conversion several years ago I noticed that area where the pipe

comes up through the floor and ran inside of the duct work to supply air to the windows. When I built the wall I made sure the pipe wouldn't rub to caues any

problems in the future. The problem is here now, and the question I have is, is there a way to bypass that line and feed another to the defroster, install a ball valve,

check valve.  Thanks for any imput!

Steve 5B....
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

I think you have to take a deep breath and tear into your wall and paneling, whatever it takes to expose the pipe to fix it properly. You can shut that lines valve in the engine compartment. I seem to remember there is some rad hose type line in that area by the driver. Maybe all you need to do is replace a length of it. Isn't some of that line accessible at the bottom of the electrical panel on the outside?

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »

Try going in via the outside electrical panel under the driver's window and see what you can see in there?

You could go back into the HVAC cavity, find the beginnings of those pipes, cut them off and re-run them under neath through the bulkhead and into the space under the driver and looped over to re-connect up through to the defroster core.

You'll probably find the originals run in copper, you may choose a convenient material for your new ones, be sure to secure it well from movement and protect it where sharp edges will rub through it.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »

Hi, Stebe 5B.

Gate valves are more resistant to freeze cracking than ball valves. If you should use a ball valve, leave it in the 45 degree position during cold weather, when not in use.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: