Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing a 12 volt trailer with a 24 volt MCI.  (Read 2652 times)
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »

Just got finished wiring in a new 24 volt lighting system in our 2 up snowmobile trailer. Towing a trailer adds to the equasion.
Headed to cold weather.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »

Have fun upstate, stay safe. I had done that on my Mci also, I used a three light to two light converter from walmart (works great).

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:04:47 AM »

Ed I went thru 3 if those from wal mart before I found the problem! They didn't carry enough voltage and each one burned up!
I got a good one from amazon that hasnt failed once!

I meant to say " couldnt carry the amperage, not voltage"!

If you look at the ones from wal mart they are rated at like 5 amps or maybe 7. About what a boat trailer or lawn trailer will put out but if you use a full size trailer with some lights, even led's you might want to step it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

I have basically the same unit as Ace and it works quite well except for the first one I had just one function quit working right after the warranty expired.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »

I wired in a complete new set of lights, with seperate plug, except running lights. I tapped the 24v ran it to the running lights thru a headlight bulb, used it as an interior light. LOL.  Oh well.  Have left the proheat on for last 2 days, bumped the thermostat up to 75, came home to a 79 degree bus. I think we are ready.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Aussiecoach

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »

Ace

Does that device take 24V from a Bus and use 12V for the trailer if only hooked to a 12V supply?

It looks like something I could use

Thanx
Glen
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

Glen all my exterior lights are 12v so No to answer your question!
If your bus has separate turn signals and whatever your pulling does not, then this device is a must have! Just make sure you get one that can carry the extra added lighting amps. Most of them are for open trailers such as a boat or utility trailer where they only have the two main rear lights (all in one). If you plan on tugging a full size cargo trailer with running lights all the way around or even a car, i would suggest one of the higher amp boxes!
Hasnt failed in two years where the ones from walmart lasted about a week or maybe A trip before I had smoke and no lights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »

Did mine with 3 DPDT 24 VDC coil octal relays and switched the 12 VDC from house battery to operate the trlr lites. Worked great using the 3 wire plus ground, like a simple trlr standard pig tail.  Only strange item was when brakes were on, the trlr lites would alternate for turn. For example when brakes were applied the bus turn would lite the trlr went off. Then even bus was between blinks, the trlr would lite up, maybe goofy, but made the law happy.
Worked great.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Aussiecoach

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

Thanx Ace

Looks like I will need to go with a converter then

Cheerz