Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 12:50:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat / AC while in transit  (Read 837 times)
Chas

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »

I have purchased a 1979 05 Eagle. The owner passed away so I am learning on my own everything about my first bus. Wile traveling, what source is used to provide heat or AC typically? I have 2 in roof heat/AC units. Although there is no generator now, is a diesel generator used to power the roof units going down the road? Thanks for everyone's input.

Chas
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »

Welcome; Many ways to do what your wanting. Usually stock bus heating system is in tack for going down road and heat strips used in camp ground when on shore power.  Ac is a differant story. I assume your over road stock system has been removed? If so you either use Gen set or inverters. Do you have Inverters?  Ask questions--no dumb ones except the one not ask! Eaglesinternational  is another bus board for you also.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »

The simplest way is just to have an 8kw Diesel generator and run it going down the road. I have a 10kw generator, but have 3 roof airs. Mostly the two 13,500btu roof airs work just fine. Only when it gets over 110 degrees do I need the third roof top air. Running on an inverter can work, but also creates heat at the inverter and works the alternator-course not a problem if you still have the big Delco 50DN. Get a good Diesel generator that runs at a continuous rpm. They will last longer then your bus. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »

As Bob said,  you need to find out if your "over the road" A/C - heat is working.  Many coaches have had the orginal over the road A/C removed because of the cost of repairing them.  I've been told to rebuild an orginal bus air compressor would cost over $1,000.

So let us know, if your bus still has it, and if it works.

Oh Yes, Welcome to the madness.  Now your hooked.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Chas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

Thanks all.im going to look into seeing if this bus conversion still has the stock AC.

Chas
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »

If the system is still in , I would give it a try. I have stock system in my 91 Prevost and wouldn't take for it. It will freeze you out even in 110 degree heat down here in Texas. Like everything ,there are repairs and freon checks to make. I have a good man that takes care of mine. If it's still there and you have the money to fix it up right, should last you a while. I haven't noticed any difference in mileage when running it. The key is to find somebody that knows the system. Not for everybody. Trust me on that one .

Chas

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »

Super, as usual, thank everyone for their input-

Chas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: