Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quite aux -air  (Read 799 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »

Have tried Jun-air. Box store compressors. Any body got a better Idea or source?  To maintain air while parked for extended periods.   on  shore power.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »

I just bought a reconditioned Porter Cable 6 gallon 150psi compressor for that purpose. It's pretty light but it is noisy, would not want it running in the middle of the night! Cost $130 from CPO outlets on the web. I don't need to run it much. Thought it might be good when I forget to put the shifter in neutral and lose air.....and it won't start. I know it's just a matter of time before I do that.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

Check your local hospitals and dentist dumpsters Bob that what they use  (JUN) I have one that is bad and looking for one but not at the price I was quoted mine may be the only Prevost around that will have a Habor/Freight compressor lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »

Not the only one-- Was thinking about building quiet box for it if all else fails (HF compressor). I have built a air compressor using a old style ford ac compressor and a 1 hp motor plumbed direct to aux air tank. The only noise there was air intake--could put muffler on it.  Just thought there might be a simple way.  Always looking ahead for better idea.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:53 AM »

The quietest compressors tend to be belt driven oil lubed.  I looked at a used belt drive compressor once that was essentially silent.  It was slow to build pressure so I passed.  (This was not for the bus.)

A belt drive compressor might not be right for a bus just because most of them are pretty big.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: