Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 01:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71T ?  (Read 2522 times)
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »

Well I made the deal, He will pull it out this week. I got a pretty good deal $1800.00 for the engine, trany, radiator, and any thing else I want that is hooked to the engine. I don't need the trany so I can try and sell it and scrap the radiator to recoupe some of my money. The tag on the valve cover said it was 370hp. We are going to do a rebuild before we stuff it in there so everything will be fresh and should last me a long time. I think I will be happy with the power compared to what I have now.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

Good move-is what I would have done! Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

That is the same motor I saw an ad for, in Lewis Run?  I am 40 minutes over the hill from there.

Tom Yaegle
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »

Tom,
Thats the one, It will probable be next weekend till I get to pick it up, The truck came from the lewis run fc so it didn't go far. Jason

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

jmblake,
When I started swaping the 71 to the 92, you will find a few glitches, the first biggie, the 8V-71 MCI uses had the SAE 1 Bell housing and a SAE 2 flywheel, so trying to move these items can become interesting.  As for the cradle, I had the 8V, 12V-71 and the 8v-92 on the origional cradle, yes, took some welding but is a simple deal, Generally everything is very similar, but there are some differences but mostly simple.
I am guessing the 8V-71T engine, if it came from MCI, would be simple, but check the dlywheel for being a SAE 1 or 2 as long as it is the same as what your present engine is, then no issues.  Had tuff time going from the 4 speed SPicer to the Road Ranger RTO910, that is when the issue became very clear.
Good luck
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

Jason, 

If that is a true 370 hp engine it will be aftercooled. It will have the #1 flywheel housing for the allison, also the trans will have either a powershift valve body or valning on it to make it a manual shift trans and the versa valve to keep it in lockup in low gear for the jakes. I would put the versa set up on yours. When you get in your shop let us know what injector is in it the turbo part number I may recomend a change for better fuel miliage less smoke. 

Hope that helps.

Dpn
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

sorry that should say Don
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

Dpn= Diesel Particulate Nusance

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »

Thanks for the offers guys, Don it has the allison with it but I was going to use mine since I know what I have with it. So I shouldn't need a bell housing. When I get it here and tore apart I will let you know what injectors are in it and the turbo #. Thanks Jason

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »

You will need a new/correct engine mount (curb side) due to different flywheel housing with the SAE 2 flywheel. Easy to see difference the original has a small lump on housing due to the small flywheel, where the normal will have a very pronounced starter purtrusion for the SAE 1 flywheel & SAE  1 housing that the original mount on housing will not work.
DDC makes so many versions it is crazy for sure. Lots of fun & educational too.
It is easier to do it than describe it  Grin
Enjoy
Dave M
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:25:46 PM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: