Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 11:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Equalizer - Why?  (Read 2012 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »

ok the king of notknowing wants to ask....
if one has a huge 24v battery system, a huge 4k inverter and a tiny 12v demand, why can't he put in a small 12v AGM battery and a SMALL 110v AC 12v charger to maintain the house system?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:00:33 PM by eagle19952 » Logged
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »

I have several 24v loads and many 12v loads. I have a very large 24v bank of six 8D AGM's. So, I can't change any of that. The Sure Power can be wired either as an equalizer OR a converter. So, my main question is does anyone know whether there is any disadvantage to simply wiring it as a converter. I can't think of any downside, so my next question would be then why would one ever wire it as an equalizer? It seems to me that just complicates the picture with no compensating benefit.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »

I may be wrong, but my thought is that the best answer to your question would come from Sure Power. Why not call them and then share their answer?

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »

There is always an advantage to having an equalizer connected to a set of batteries, since it does make sure the batteries are charging equally.  Even batteries without external loads can benefit.  I have a similar equalizer/converter hooked up as a pure 24 volt to 12 volt converter for my trailer lights, it works just fine.  If your need is simply a source of 12 volt power, then use it that way.  OTOH, I can't conceive of a downside to having it as an equalizer too, but maybe you have found one.  Here is a funny story - I set up my trailer lights and the 24 volt to 12 volt converter/equalizer and it was working perfectly.  Then, I turned the bus off while the trailer was still connected and as is my habit I threw the master disconnect.  Then, I stood back and tried to figure out why my brake lights were on.  24 volt brake lights, on because the parking brake was on, but I had the master disconnect off.  What had happened was my converter, which was a 24 volt to 12 volt or a 12 volt to 24 volt or an equalizer - was connected to my trailer battery, and it was powering up the bus 24 volt system by back-feeding 24 volts onto the master electrical bus...  I had to disconnect the 12 volt charge line to the trailer connector...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

Buses are the only thing you see the equalizers on in the marine and construction world engines start on 24v everything else is 12v this is done with a parallel switch it charges on 12v and changes to 24v for starting only the system has been around for a long time 

This from a guy who doesn't care for equalizers people have yet to prove to me they really work and are worth the trouble JMO

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: