Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 4523 times)
edeshields

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »

Since it was time for the bus insurance renewal I did a little investigation.  What seemed to be a simple task quickly turned into a perilous journey.  First, I’m will Allstate.  The price wasn’t bad and what appeared to be the standard coverages didn’t seem out of line until I actually read my policy.  I first read the definitions.  It was full of got-ya’s.  To be a motor home if would have had to been “manufactured in a facility” as one.  Otherwise, you ain’t covered.  For me, that’s ok because my MCI was a shell and “manufactured by a conversion facility”.  Second, if you destroy it you’re not going to get much – may a few grand because a carefully worded cash value clause regardless of whether you bought an agreed value, or stated value policy – which are almost impossible to find now.

The typical names weren’t selling bus conversion anymore.  Progressive – nope unless you wanted to pay $3,000 per year for cash value only.  Allstate?  Yep, they’ll sell it to you but watch out!  Read your policy. 

My concern is that my bus is worth much more to replace it than a worn out transportation coach its same age.  So the gap was big and if I total it, that’s what I’m going to get compared to.  I wanted an agreed value policy and found out that it’s only written in a few states.  I live in Texas and the only way I could get a policy was to title it to a company I own in OK, and into my LLC.   The Texas insurance commission won’t allow the policies to even be written. 

I searched this thread before my adventure and saw comments like, “I didn’t tell them it was a bus, or I told them it was converted truck body, or I’m with Allstate or Progressive” etc.  Mainly, I found that, like other, I didn’t really pay that much attention to the details until I discovered them wholly insufficient quite by accident (no pun intended). 
So, I throw this up as an FYI that it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to whip out your policy and give a once over.  I was glad I did. 

Ed DeShields
Dallas, Texas
MCI 102C3 8V92TA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »

Number one, never refer to it as a bus. It is a motorhome! As soon as you say bus they immediately picture a wildly painted school bus.

Allstate is one of the lowest rated insurance companies in the US according to Consumer Reports, Farm Bureau isn't much better.

The best ones are Progressive and Good Sam. I have Progressive, they don't care at all if it is a bus conversion and will insure any amount you desire.

I had USAA but they went out of the MH insurance business and referred me to Progressive. I've been a happy camper ever since.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
joe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »

Since it was time for the bus insurance renewal I did a little investigation.  What seemed to be a simple task quickly turned into a perilous journey.  First, I’m will Allstate.  The price wasn’t bad and what appeared to be the standard coverages didn’t seem out of line until I actually read my policy.  I first read the definitions.  It was full of got-ya’s.  To be a motor home if would have had to been “manufactured in a facility” as one.  Otherwise, you ain’t covered.  For me, that’s ok because my MCI was a shell and “manufactured by a conversion facility”.  Second, if you destroy it you’re not going to get much – may a few grand because a carefully worded cash value clause regardless of whether you bought an agreed value, or stated value policy – which are almost impossible to find now.

The typical names weren’t selling bus conversion anymore.  Progressive – nope unless you wanted to pay $3,000 per year for cash value only.  Allstate?  Yep, they’ll sell it to you but watch out!  Read your policy. 

My concern is that my bus is worth much more to replace it than a worn out transportation coach its same age.  So the gap was big and if I total it, that’s what I’m going to get compared to.  I wanted an agreed value policy and found out that it’s only written in a few states.  I live in Texas and the only way I could get a policy was to title it to a company I own in OK, and into my LLC.   The Texas insurance commission won’t allow the policies to even be written. 

I searched this thread before my adventure and saw comments like, “I didn’t tell them it was a bus, or I told them it was converted truck body, or I’m with Allstate or Progressive” etc.  Mainly, I found that, like other, I didn’t really pay that much attention to the details until I discovered them wholly insufficient quite by accident (no pun intended). 
So, I throw this up as an FYI that it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to whip out your policy and give a once over.  I was glad I did. 

I just switched from Allstate to Progressive. Agreed upon value was not a problem since it was purchased within the last 2 years. Better coverage and only about $50/yr more than Allstate. I did use an agent to make sure all the paperwork was correct. At least I think Progressive knows what a Prevost conversion is!

1993 Prevost LeMirage XL, 8V92TA  Allison HT-755CR
1994 Angola Conversion
edeshields

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »

Tough crowd.  No intention to offend.  

I just spoke to them.  They told me they weren't writing agreed value policies anymore (I live in Texas).  I then called the Texas Insurance commission.  No dice.  Progressive did agree to classify me as "motor home other" but the policy was out of sight and the "cash value" determination mean't a claim would be insufficient.  Allstate (who I have other policies with) told me "don't drive it another mile because if you wreck it, you won't get much".  That's when my alarm bell went off.  

Now, perhaps some are grandfathered in on a particular carrier -- and that would, of course, make a difference depending on the policy language.  But, not to me unfortunately.  

I'm just saying.  That's what got me digging into reading the policies.  Since I own a re-insurance company I appreciate the language because that's the way we're obligated to pay a claim.  

Anyway, I was simply commenting on the need to review your policy.      

(clarifying)..I did find that Progressive says, "Agreed Value protects your investment in your RV without considering depreciation for total losses. The total loss payout is the agreed value as shown on the Declarations page.

Proof of value is required for this option. For RVs purchased less than two years ago, the purchase documents are proof of value. For RVs purchased more than two years ago, an appraisal serves as proof of value."

However, they won't write any state and any "bus conversion" specifically according to my conversation with them.  The cash value clause still exists however.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:54:49 PM by edeshields » Logged

Ed DeShields
Dallas, Texas
MCI 102C3 8V92TA
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »

Buyer Beware... Progressive. I had an agreed value policy for 5 years. easy no problems. In July '09 I submitted a claim for hail damage. There wasn't any question about the damage as the hail TRASHED thousands of cars, houses, etc... They totaled our bus and offered me 16K. As part of my purchase contract I had to have it insured for $35K. The rate was based on that. Progressive informed me that they no longer offer agreed value policys. Of course I wasn't ever informed of the change and my rates never went down either. After submitting 4 PAGES of improvements/changes that I had, dome (including receipts), they grudgingly came up to $32K. I had $15K worth of receipts. It should have been worth than my original agreed value policy. Then when the policy came up for renewal they tried to jack all of my policy's an overall  average of 27% under the vague explanation of...
'The cost of doing business in Colorado"
I had 3 motorcycles, 3 cars, 2 trailers, and the bus. insured with them. I could'nt kick them to the curb fast enough. After many, many calls/quotes We ended up with GMAC. They have been wonderful to work with so far.

Don & Sheila
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »

Ed, You also have a very nice bus and probably would be hard to get insured for "Who's value" unless you bought it from a dealer and it was always worked on by a professional conversion company. Thats how insurers work IMHO.

I have a MCI 5C Coach that in 2010 I paid $15K for and put maybe 5,000 more into and material Worth 10,000 more that I had left over from jobs I had done earlier. They won't look at that but they will pay for the Bus if needed but only to the extent of what I have in it.

By the way it is an old transit and I knew when I bought it that I would never get anything out of it, but the pleasure of fixing it up to what we like to travel in and redoing a lot of things when needed and affordable.

All I wanted from the insurance company was to cover any person that was injured if that happened and their property replaced if needed. But thanks for the heads up.

Hey thats Busin Grin

Dave5Cs

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

The only insurance we have on the bus is liability, in case we injure someone or do property damage .

The odds of loosing it in an accident or fire or the like are very small.

I don't like giving money to insurance companies anymore than they like paying out claims.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »

The only insurance we have on the bus is liability, in case we injure someone or do property damage .

The odds of loosing it in an accident or fire or the like are very small.

I don't like giving money to insurance companies anymore than they like paying out claims.

JC

YUP ME TOO

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

I have to back track. After reading some of the other posts I remembered that I had to send photos to Progressive plus a notarized assessment from the PO that I completely forgot about! Sorry about that!

I didn't know about their changed policy on insured value, I better check my policy closer! I have to assume it is grandfathered.

It won't hurt to try Good Sam. They keep sending me these offers for their MH insurance, don't know anything about their insurance, but their road service is great.

With older bus values so low it may not even be worth while to get collision and comprehensive any more.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »

I have had State Farm on everything for 40 years. We had the Eagle covered for 13 years with just liability, but when we bought the Prevost we wanted full coverage. State farm wanted to value it and charge us as if it were a new, but of course would only pay what it was worth at the time of a claim. We went with Progressive through and Independent agent and was written for actual cash value. I am sure it makes a difference being a converted from new as opposed to home conversion, but I am happy with Progressive. BUT!!!  I have not had a claim.   Cheesy

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »

Progressive is the only company I know that will give RV insurance. Most just cover the bus for the normal legal running down the road. Progressive's RV policy will cover much more. When I started my truck conversion, I asked what I had to do to have the truck insured by Progressive. They said I could not build the box myself. I had the box built by a licensed body manufacture, and they were good with that. They didn't care about who did the conversion on the interior. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »

Better read the Progressive policy close on the agreed cash value it states the claim will be paid at the current market value at the time of the claim as deemed by the adjuster

A friend of mine who's bus caught fire (Eagle) just went through this ordeal he got about 1/3 of his agreed on value not enough to buy the Prevost he was wanting lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »

What about any recent experience w/Good Sam?  We moved and ended up w/ an insurance mess.  So now looking for new coverage.  Good Sam was mentioned in this thread.  We like their roadside coverage.  It's been very good to us over the years.  what about their RV coverage for our bus? (motorhome.   Cheesy  )

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:29 AM »

Gus,

I still have my "40 ft Motorhome" insured with USAA, but I have comprehensive and liability only!  They asked me what it cost new, since they don't have any database that lists it, and I told them $300K in 1973.

I realize that if I hit something (my fault) I won't get any insurance, but if I want to rebuild, at least I still own it, and don't have to buy back my own vehicle.

Steve Toomey

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:17 AM »

I have 2002 factory converted coach Progressive wrote the insurance without any problem but when they discovered it had a salvaged title they will now write liability only bummer does me no good as it is not road worthy yet and wont be for awhile if ever lol  funny part I bought the bus from Progressive 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: