Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 10:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus/Truck accident  (Read 2776 times)
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/tour-bus-crashes-east-la-multiple-deaths-050525955.html

And this was a comment made by a reader:

"These tour bus crashes are happening too often. Obama and Feinstein need to aggressively plead to the people and claim that the majority of Americans want to limit the number of people aboard tour buses to no more than 10 people to minimize loss of life."

Maybe the bus is being seen like a firearm??? OMG

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

Keith -

Well, 10 folks on a 55-passenger bus wouldn't be very green - so we'd have to get some programs in place:

1.) The Cash for Crushed Coaches Program - re-direct DOT fine monies to buy up all the 14+-passenger coaches and crush them.
2.) The Many Mini-Buses Program - stimulus to manufacturers to re-tool to build 10-passenger coaches - might as well make them electric, too.
3.) The Smaller is Better Program - re-train and hire additional drivers to drive the smaller buses

Wait until (and not looking forward to it, of course) there are a couple of plane crashes in a short period of time.  They'll need to then make an empassioned plea to govern airspeed at 10 mph.

Take care,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »

And 10 passenger planes? Trains? Ferry boats? Vans? Seats at sporting events (Bleachers)? Concerts? Movie theaters? Restaurants?

Point taken?

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
wyle.e.kyote

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »

Maybe the bus is being seen like a firearm??? OMG

Is it black with a folding stock?   Bingo!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

I'LL NEVER GIVE UP MY ASSAULT BUS! Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »

Sounds like it was a Mexican bus company that had been sited often for violations.  It is questionable whether they should have been allowed to operate at all.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »

I find it hard to believe there is not more accidents with Mexican buses our highways here in AZ are covered with Mexican buses thanks to NAFTA you will see American carriers buses red flagged at weight stations but never a Mexican carrier with 50 people in 40 passenger bus

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »

You think they have proper insurance?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »

I doubt it Lin kinda not like us going into Mexico we have to have their insurance they probably use a Mexican insurance company that is not even registered to do business here

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

I can't read the carrier but it looks like it has US DOT and ICC numbers.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »

More Information on Carrier:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/02/04/safety-record-of-bus-company-involved-in-deadly-yucaipa-crash-questioned/#axzz2K33exsTx

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

Here's a comprehensive report:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323807004578284141341375974.html

tg
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

Unfortunately I cannot open the WSJ's article, but last night's TV news said that the full investigation would take "weeks" to be completed.   There was a view of the bus being towed away behind a HD tow truck, and it clearly showed heavy damage to the right side and front.   However, the bus was still on its wheels, albeit across the roadway, after the crash  -  did this mean it rolled a complete 360 degrees over and back onto its wheels, or even onto its right side than back onto its wheels?   If so, that's unusual.

Scapadas Magicas appears to be a US operator because it is based in National City CA, just north of the border.   What intrigues me is the mention that "According to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Scapadas has a satisfactory safety rating, but was cited for at least 30 safety violations, including several related to brake issues".   Yikes.   What does it take to get an unsatisfactory rating?   This brings into question the whole way our federal friends assess bus companies' safety ratings.   It would be nice to think the entire process is transparent and beyond question, but as with so much else emanating from Washington DC the reality may be less than wholesome.

The bus looks like a Van Hool T-840.   I wonder if it had seatbelts at every seat?   While it sustained heavy damage, I wonder how many fatalities were caused by passengers being ejected from it as it rolled?   The bloodstains on the outside under the window may indicate that this occured.   I just got back from a three week trip around Mexico, during which I used the consistently-excellent long-distance buses there between Toluca, DF, Puebla and Cordoba  -  every bus I was in had seatbelts at each seat and seemed to be in impeccable overall condition.   Wouldn't it be ironic if it is found that Mexicans travelling in a US-owned bus in this country are at greater risk than if using their own buses in Mexico?

John

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:37:52 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

On the other hand, there are people complaining about too many rules and regulations and the government wasting taxpayers money.  We can't have it both ways.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »

The WSJ article explains that there are a number of categories that make up a motor carrier's safety rating.  The motor carrier scored well in most of the ratings, but poor in maintenance.  They had an overall rating of satisfactory because of the good ratings in the other categories.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: