Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 04:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery cables  (Read 866 times)
somewhereinusa

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »

Started assembling my new battery cables and ran into a problem.  I bought 4/0 cable(clearly marked AWG 4/0) and 4/0 crimp on lugs. Started first end, and the lug is no where near big enough to go over the cable. I thought well darn,  they sent the wrong lugs. Looked up the specs,4/0 cable end is supposed to be .548 mine measure .548. I looked up cable specs, 4/0 is supposed to be .460, that would fit very nicely. My cable measures, on average about .600. Since I wouldn't be making the cable less than 4/0 is it permissible to cut enough strands off to fit into the lug?  I can do that but what a PIA for 20 ends.  What other options?

On another electrical question I have a new ammeter and shunt. It says to put the shunt on the negative side. I have found a number of wiring diagrams with it on the positive side. Is there any reason I can't put it on the positive side?

Thanks,
Dick
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »

If you are using welding cable, you need the correct size welding cable lugs.  Electrically, the cable is the same size but because of the fine stranding, it is a bit bigger physically.  If you go to a major supplier website (T&B, AMP, Burndy, etc. they will have that info.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

Allow me to ask a dumb question.  Are you stripping back the rubber insulation before trying to slip the lug on the end if it?  If you are stripping the insulation back and the lugs still don't fit i suggest that you get bigger lugs instead of cutting away some of the strands.  It will be easier and you will have the best connection possible.  You can't have battery cables that are to big or connections that are to good when trying to start these big engines.
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

The shunt needs to be on the NEG, it measures all amp draw/charge.  I uae a SOC  (state of charge) meter  a ( TM-2025-RV) and it uses the shunt that way.
   Also with the Magnum 2000W /100A charger.
   This is on my house battery bank.    
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »

Hey Somewhere,

Exactly what Len sad.  I buy a lot lugs outside of  "bus world" and that is a common mistake when ordering the lugs. (blame your salesman)

It totally depends on the size and amount of strands in the wire.

As Andy said, its a hundred times easier to get the right lug..

Best of luck,

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »

I bought some heavy wall fusion lugs from www.remybattery.com I know people here like the crimp style but I don't care much for the crimp style

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »

Highly stranded welding cable or marine battery cable will be larger than other 4/0 wire/cable.  My friend brought over some 4/0 terminals once designed for use with typical stranded wire and they didn't fit my 4/0 welding cable.  I had to get the right terminals from a local electronics distributor.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »

Getting wrong or defective parts is no longer the exception, it is, unfortunately, very common.

It took me a while to accept this but now I routinely check to make sure I have the right stuff.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: