Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bet B-K is a Happy Dude  (Read 1744 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »

Hey BK I got a close up look at the 407's Setra's Greyhound has bought fine looking piece of equipment 10 were parked at Needles at the station on the way west

I bet the Prevost sales dept has big tears lol, they are making their move now on the American bus market for sure it was just a matter of time now it is here
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:51:45 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »

They are nice and can turn around in a close space. My drive.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »

What surprised me was the engine it was a M/B not a DD 13 nice buses

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »

If you look closely-the Mercedes engine in that bus is an OM471 based on the DD13. It does have 150 items that are different from the Detroit DD13, but the basic block heads and mechanics of the OM471 is the same as the DD13. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »

Kinda of low on HP and torque for 12.8 L engine I thought 410 hp and 1450 ft lbs of torque but they did have the new 10 speed Allison the drivers were ranting and raving about that should help with mileage and power

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »

That must have been a one off order since SETRA's brochure only lists the ALLISON B500 and ZF ASTRONIC as the only transmissions available. Either that or they forgot to update their website.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »

I have no idea what their site says but the shifter pad said Allison with 10 speeds and no clutch was found

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:16 AM »

Well, in either case, that new TC ALLISON is supposed to be the best of both worlds combining the features of the ASTRONIC with the B500. The ASTRONIC has a slight edge in fuel economy but is can be slow and rough compared to the B500. So I guess you can imagine an ASTRONIC shifting uniterupted, now that's something.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »

Who knows it may be part of a test program I know you cannot buy one as of right now WW Williams has been trying to get one for me the backlog is so great they are talking at least 6 months now I was told 3 months in Dec

B_K

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

Yes the 407's are nice buses.

I have crawled all over one @ Setra's North American Headquarters when there still was one in Greensboro, NC.

I like ALMOST everything about them and if I were to buy any new buses that is the most likely candidate!

The one serious flaw I have with them is the sinister looking awful ugly bumpers!

However from a $ perspective I imagine those UGLY bumpers would have saved me thousands of $'s in replacing the plastic bumper covers and corners on our S417's!

So that said waiting on some good salesman to help prove I'm insane and convince me to buy new buses this coming yr as the last 3 we owe on will be paid off and I am really struggling with going back in debt vs being debt free!

Grin  BK  Grin
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

So that said waiting on some good salesman to help prove I'm insane and convince me to buy new buses this coming yr as the last 3 we owe on will be paid off and I am really struggling with going back in debt vs being debt free!

Grin  BK  Grin

BK, trust me. If you are debt free, and can stay that way, there is NOTHING like it. Of course, there are the inevitable times, but if you have the choice, you won't regret it.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »

Agree on debt free, here for last 28 years been debt free including no mortgage, gives me the FREE feeling and good sleeping after most of my life was hand to mouth.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »

I was surprised to read over at BNO that Greyhound was buying Setra buses now.  I didn't realize Setra had brought out a cheaper model. 

BK, if your current Setras are feeling a bit dated it would probably be a lot cheaper to do some cosmetic upgrades like seat covers instead of newer buses.  The S417 is still a mighty nice bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »

I was surprised to read over at BNO that Greyhound was buying Setra buses now.  I didn't realize Setra had brought out a cheaper model. 

BK, if your current Setras are feeling a bit dated it would probably be a lot cheaper to do some cosmetic upgrades like seat covers instead of newer buses.  The S417 is still a mighty nice bus.

Brain,
No our S417's aren't feeling dated at all. As a matter of fact we still here "Wow this bus must be brand new!" quite often.

However many colleges won't let us bid on their sports teams with anything older than 5-7 yrs depending on which level school it is.
Ours just hit 8 yrs old and still look awesome inside, & nice on the outside.
But they are beginning to rack up some miles and that is starting to show in increased maintenance required.

So the big question is do we spend a small fortune refurbishing the drive train and mechanical's in a certified program like MCI, or ABC are doing, (ABC just did all most all of Greyhounds older MCI's over the last 2 yrs in their Goshen, IN facility!)
so I can show they have been refurbed?
Or do I bite the built and trade of the older buses and buy a couple newer ones keeping the 05's as second line buses?

Yeah tough call on that. Sure is nice to have major issues covered under warranty, but on the other hand,  it'd be nice not to have those big payments again!

Grin  BK  Grin
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 05:48:55 AM »

BK, 5-7 years?  I wonder if the idiots ever checked the age of the aircraft They fly when using com air service!  Any how the radiators You brought to Niceville have worked out fine thanks to You and Your family.  Hope You are well My friend.  John L
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: