Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 06:00:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bet B-K is a Happy Dude  (Read 1736 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »

I don't think many people know how old some of these airliners really are. It shouldn't make any difference as long as it's well taken care off. Sure, at some point all equipment will have to be replaced but some think is should be every 5 years. In a perfect world, I would buy a new car every year and that would be nice wouldn't it. But, my 9 year old car runs as well as it did when it was new because I keep it up. I always love it when people long for the "good old days". I leave them at a loss for words when I tell them that if the good old days were so good, then why don't they exist anymore?
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »

I suspect the colleges are under the false belief that a 5 to 7 year old bus is going to be safer due to it being newer.  We all know that a 10 year old bus could be safer than a 5 year old bus if it is better taken care of.  An operator can buy a new bus, not maintain it, and have an unsafe hunk of junk after just a few years.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

Quote from: junkman42
BK, 5-7 years?  I wonder if the idiots ever checked the age of the aircraft They fly when using com air service!  Any how the radiators You brought to Niceville have worked out fine thanks to You and Your family.  Hope You are well My friend.  John L

Yup John, that's what the "big" colleges are demanding.
Not the college/team I had in FL last yr, they allow for 10 yrs (on the contract and even allow us of the record to use our older coaches as long as they are kept in good shape)

But the majority are going to the 5-7 yr rule even though the 1-7 yr old buses break down with electronic issues far more than a well maintained older coach!

Oh and your welcome for the radiator delivery, but the real thanks goes to the supplier Mr. Bob Glines for supplying and arranging the crisscross country tour they took before getting to you.

Quote from: CrabbyMilton
I don't think many people know how old some of these airliners really are. It shouldn't make any difference as long as it's well taken care off. Sure, at some point all equipment will have to be replaced but some think is should be every 5 years. In a perfect world, I would buy a new car every year and that would be nice wouldn't it. But, my 9 year old car runs as well as it did when it was new because I keep it up. I always love it when people long for the "good old days". I leave them at a loss for words when I tell them that if the good old days were so good, then why don't they exist anymore?

Milton your absolutely right we had less problems with our older buses that were maintained as well as these are.
And @ 5-7 yrs they ain't even paid off yet! @ $500,000 +/- the average note on them is 8 yrs!

Quote from: belfert
I suspect the colleges are under the false belief that a 5 to 7 year old bus is going to be safer due to it being newer.  We all know that a 10 year old bus could be safer than a 5 year old bus if it is better taken care of.  An operator can buy a new bus, not maintain it, and have an unsafe hunk of junk after just a few years.

Brian you are correct again!
There are lots of JUNK newer buses that owners do just that buy 'm run 'm hard, and dispose of 'm. And there are lots of older coaches that can go coast to coast with no worries as they have been kept up good.

Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: